questions about on-board chargers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leelatt

Reaction score
I'm looking to get an onboard charger as I'd like to keep my batteries in the boat instead of hauling them out to charge them every time, but I haven't used one before so I have some questions that I hope some of you can answer, hopefully their not silly questions.

1.) do I leave the charger's bank leads connected to the batteries at all times, even when I'm out on the water fishing and running electronics off the batteries?

2.) my current battery set up is 2 in the bow under the decking for the 24v trolling motor and 1 in the aft compartment, can onboard chargers charge a 24v system and a 12v system at the same time or do I need to un-bridge the 2 12v batteries in the bow before I charge them?

3.) since I have 3 batteries will I need a 3 bank charger or will a 2 bank charger work; 1 for the 24volt system and 1 for the 12volt?

4.) currently I have the batteries all in battery boxes, for the 2 in the bow under the decking do they need to be in the boxes or is it safe to leave them out of the battery box and just sitting under the decking? (I only had them in the boxes just in case water were to spill in the edge of the hatch and drip onto the terminals) (also, I have them both currently in the centerline of the boat, should I move them to the sides of the boat or centerline is fine for balance?)

5.) does the charger need to be mounted to a non-metallic surface or grounded?

6.) does the compartment that the charger will reside in need to be well ventilated? (I assume they generate heat)

I guess that's all for now.

U need 1 bank for each battery, it doesnt matter the voltage, 12 volts per battery. Bps chargers are hard to beat, they warranty them right at the store no waiting.

Leelatt said:
I'm looking to get an onboard charger as I'd like to keep my batteries in the boat instead of hauling them out to charge them every time, but I haven't used one before so I have some questions that I hope some of you can answer, hopefully their not silly questions.

1.) do I leave the charger's bank leads connected to the batteries at all times, even when I'm out on the water fishing and running electronics off the batteries? Yes

2.) my current battery set up is 2 in the bow under the decking for the 24v trolling motor and 1 in the aft compartment, can onboard chargers charge a 24v system and a 12v system at the same time or do I need to un-bridge the 2 12v batteries in the bow before I charge them? No need to un-bridge the 24V setup, just use 2 banks for the 2 forward batteries with leads to each battery (see pic)

24VChargingSystem.jpg

3.) since I have 3 batteries will I need a 3 bank charger or will a 2 bank charger work; 1 for the 24volt system and 1 for the 12volt? since you have 2 forward and one aft, I'd get a 2 bank and a 1 bank, rather than extending the leads to the other end of the boat, but a 3 bank will work

4.) currently I have the batteries all in battery boxes, for the 2 in the bow under the decking do they need to be in the boxes or is it safe to leave them out of the battery box and just sitting under the decking? (I only had them in the boxes just in case water were to spill in the edge of the hatch and drip onto the terminals) (also, I have them both currently in the centerline of the boat, should I move them to the sides of the boat or centerline is fine for balance?) some ppl like boxes, some don't...there's pros and cons to each. Centerline versus sides is up to you, try them both ways and see which rides/fishes the best, altho moving them to the sides may be restricted by the length of the charger's leads

5.) does the charger need to be mounted to a non-metallic surface or grounded? no

6.) does the compartment that the charger will reside in need to be well ventilated? (I assume they generate heat) Yes

I guess that's all for now.