Ranger and Tracker deck extensions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
Here's a quick deck extensions in a dual console Ranger. I think it was a 392v, but I cannot keep track of all the Ranger numbers.

He had recently had it recarpeted and added new electronics to the boat.

He wanted a freestanding unit, but wanted to leave 8" between the back of the extension and the console, so he could still sit on the deck and reach inside the rod locker. As such, we extended the sides of the extension to the console, so that it would still fit snugly with no fasteners, yet left the middle open for easy sitting.

Believe it or not, the carpet is all from the same roll. He had the whole boat recarpeted in January/February, at which point the carpet shop found the forward livewell lid was too damaged to use. I made and carpeted that lid in February, then built this extension around May. The difference you see is just 3 months of use and garage keeping (yes, the directions were marked, and kept the same on both pieces). Impressive to see how quickly carpet degrades.

This Tracker deck extension was a lot of fun. Guy in Massachusetts needed a deck extension for a Tracker he was restoring. Needed to fit beside the console - center box would be a rod locker, port side unit was for general storage. Needed to be a completely freestanding unit, to be shipped to him.

Here it is part way through construction.

He wanted the ability to put a seat post on it, but the area between the two hatches wasn't going to be wide enough to fit a seat base, so I added a pedestal base inside the extension, which will get screwed through the extension into the floor ribs below. There was simply a small hole in the top of the extension, which a longer seat base could slide through, and insert into the pedestal base.

Here it is pretty much ready to go. The port side hatch is general storage. The stbd hatch (with the L-shaped lid), was the rod locker. After installation, he took a hole saw to the front bulkhead and slid rod tubes underneath the existing bow deck. the L-shaped lid allowed for sliding rods back out of those tubes easily.

With lids. All that was left was to strap it to a pallet, and send it on it's way.

Customer sent me this photo after he carpeted and installed it.

Jim said:
Guy from Mass? Is he a member here? I need some details. :beer:

I have no clue, he first called me on the phone.

Jr Branham said:
That's a nice older Ranger. Giving new life to an old 300 series boat.

This guy owned the boat since new, and had kept it in great shape. After seeing how well it turned out with new carpet, seats, and a wetsanding, it was a no-brainer. Boat looked brand new. Even with adding power-poles and all new electronics, it's still much less costly than buying a new boat.

How did you ship the Tracker assembly???

Easy, strapped it to a pallet, and sent it truck freight.

I saw an older ranger in Cartersville with the same deck extension a few years ago and I figure you did it as well. Ya'll, you have to see it to believe how much bigger the deck is. Massive

Latest posts