Recycling Soft Plastics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basshunter25

Reaction score
Ok I don't know if its possible or not but Ive thought about getting some molds and melting my soft plastics and making new ones. Now i know they wouldn't be as good as store bought and colors would be messed up but I use frogs alot and find that color is not of great concern. Is it even possible to get them to melt together right or am I wasting my time thinking about it. Im not looking to start a business just want to recycle all the torn up soft plastics I have laying around. Any ideas??

Not sure this is the way I would do it, but it apparently can be done.

https://www.ehow.com/how_5652801_melt-worms-make-new-ones.html

Wow that mend it looks amazing. I just ordered the small bottle to try it out. If it works it will save me hundreds of dollars in soft plastics. Also the other option of melting it down. I looked but I couldn't find any good frog molds. I assume its because plastics dealers dont want you to make your own.

Skip the mend stuff and just remelt them - I do it all the time and they come out great! Oh yeah, and you can always make a darker color - no way to lighten them but since I prefer dark greens, browns and black - who cares?

Well I bought the mend-it and I have to say the stuff is amazing. I was skeptical so I bought the small bottle cost me like 5 or 6 bucks. I fixed about 30 frogs and senkos as soon as it came in the mail. Seriously fixed them. I even cut some senkos in half and mended them and now they are as strong as new. Im not sure whats involved with melting and remolding but put a couple drops of this on the rips in your softplastics and let them sit for awhile and they are just like new, stretchy and strong. This little bottle will last me the rest of the year and costing less than two bags of plastics you can't go wrong. Im just mad I hadn't found this stuff earlier. Seriously try it! :D

I like the glue from 3:16 Lure Company because of the way you apply it (comes in a nail polish bottle with a brush), but it's the same stuff as Mend-It. That stuff paid for itself with one Ribbit frog that I caught 25+ 4lb+ bass on. Eventually a pickerel took the feet off though :lol:

Esquired, any word on my remelts?

yea just repair your baits, if you wanna get into melting plastic i reccomend some safety and production pointers from myself, Captain or JD and who else does it, cause you can have some serious accidents, one is never mix water with melting plastic! You have to be carefull with this stuff and breathing it.

also you can make you a mold, copy what ya like, your ok with this unless you try to resale them, then you can ger some attention you won't want :lol:

RECYCLING SOFT PLASTICS IS A GOOD WAY TO SAVE MONEY! BUT THEN AGAIN YOU CANT MELT THEM ALL DOWN TO MAKE NEW ONE... IF THERE A SALT BASSED PLASTIC ITS NOT POSSIBLE, IT GUMS UP WAY TO BAD. BUT IVE GOT A SOLUTION FOR YOU... :D

sum-kina said:
IF THERE A SALT BASSED PLASTIC ITS NOT POSSIBLE, IT GUMS UP WAY TO BAD.

Not true

and get your keyboard fixed please

capslock-s.jpg

sum-kina said:
RECYCLING SOFT PLASTICS IS A GOOD WAY TO SAVE MONEY! BUT THEN AGAIN YOU CANT MELT THEM ALL DOWN TO MAKE NEW ONE... IF THERE A SALT BASSED PLASTIC ITS NOT POSSIBLE, IT GUMS UP WAY TO BAD. BUT IVE GOT A SOLUTION FOR YOU... :D

um ok. well I said I found the mendit stuff that works great.

Is it a secret solution that you didn't feel like posting?

BassAddict said:
Wonders if FML ever got his baits from the Captain????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nope - I still have all teh stuff but really did not make any baits since last year

A 2 yr old and hot molten plastic do not mix - at least not without lots of screaming

Captain Ahab said:
BassAddict said:
Wonders if FML ever got his baits from the Captain????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

A 2 yr old and hot molten plastic do not mix - at least not without lots of screaming

This is true but them lil fingers are great for demolding cooled baits, best yet is they will work for hours for a piece of bubble gum!!