Removing Center Bench Seat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided against it. The lake I fish on can get pretty choppy and I don't think I want to risk being a taco.

I found a local metal distributor that gave me a ton of diamond plate cheap so I am going to replace the floors with it and lower the front deck so its in two parts.

Shaugh said:
As long as you're not going to be running it at 20 mph in rough water, I wouldn't have any qualms about removing a middle seat that is not connected to the floor. The only thing you'd need to do imo is add a stiff wood railing down the sides under the gunnels to add back some stiffness and stability to the side walls. The flooring will also add back rigidity to the frame.

This is just to give you the idea of what many people do.. The seat holds the sidewalls from flexing outward. You need to replace that stability by adding stiffness to the sidewalls:

Thanks. My top speed is 22 and it can get rough. Not going to try it.

I duck hunt a very large body of water that barges run constantly. It gets very rough and then add in the prop wash from the barges and it can get hairy. I avoid most of it by running close to the bank, but I have hit some pretty big white caps head on and never has the boat shown signs of waving let alone collapsing. Now, having said that, I would be very nervous if I hadn't braced it like I did. Just a floor after taking the center bench out.....on a small farm pond only. Brace it up and use some common sense when running around the lake and it is perfectly safe to me.
As I said, I duck hunt out of the boat and that center seat gets in the way when in waders. I also do a lot of jug fish by myself and every now and then you have to cut the motor and make a run for the front of the boat. With a center seat it can get hairy when you are concentrating on a jug. For my style of fishing and hunting, it made sense. If you aren't comfortable with it then don't do it. In the end, the boat is supposed to bring you pleasure and if you are as nervous as a virgin at a prison rodeo every time you take it out you won't enjoy it. Just know that there are safe ways to do it if you want to.

My 14ft v hull does fine after removing the center, but I did put a floor in and I run a 9.9.... I think that makes a difference too

Starzstuff,
If you follow what Chrispbrown did on a walk through seat you will be at 100% of the original. I wouldn't give up on the idea.. just be careful was the message.

This is a Smokercraft floor. Forgot where I borrowed the pic from but the way the factory did it looks pretty straight forward.

yaMlSt5l.jpg

I think it is a '92, again it is only a 14' and I would be hesitant to do it in a 16' without some sort of bracing. I run salt water most all the time and rough water is the norm.

Latest posts