Removing jon boat bench seat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River runner

Reaction score
I just bought a ten foot tracker flat bottom. I'd like to remove one of the bench seats. Either the middle or the back one. The bench seat is riveted to the sides and bottom of the boat. How to you go about removing it and filling the holes?

Most 10' boats don't have ribs that go up the sides of the hull so the bench is a very important structural part of the boat.
Do you have pictures of the boat?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Most 10' boats don't have ribs that go up the sides of the hull so the bench is a very important structural part of the boat.
Do you have pictures of the boat?

This is a. Very good point...

With that being said, if you don't want to fool with rivets, you can fill the holes with stainless 1/4 inch bolts and lock nuts.. Put silicone, put the bolt, lock it down.. I've had food success with this and lasts for years, no problem...

No but it does not have the ribs In it like bigger Jon boats have. I'm able to weld aluminum and have a welder so I can kind build some supports if I do remove it. On the rivets do I have to have a special river gun to do them?

I've been using a propane torch and low temp aluminum rods to fill in holes, then grind them down where I can paint over it and never know the hole was there.

I would not recommend bolts to close the holes. That is a trmporary fix and just asking for corrosion issues. I promise if you do it right the first time you will be much happier in the long run.

smackdaddy53 said:
Look at my build thread and you will see the solid rivets I bucked.

Which one of the 29 pages?

Yes the bolts are a temporary fix. I think I mentioned that, not in those exact words..

Nevermind.. Please disregard this post...

Latest posts