Replace lower unitseal on 1988 25 hp johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smackover

Reaction score
On occasion I see an oil spot on the floor beneath the prop and believe the lower unit seal is leaking .

Think the seal needs changing out.

Is this a job that a person with average mechanical skills can perform ?

Anyone have pointers.....will be grateful

Regards

Smackover

Do you have thru-hub exhaust? Is the oil black & sooty looking? If so, it is just unburned fuel/oil mix, not lower unit oil. Nothing to worry about.

If it is relatively clear gear oil or milky white/grey, then you do have a leaking seal. Take off your prop and look at the seal, see if you can see where it is leaking out.

Canyou do it yourself? Depends on your mechanical skills and tool set. I have never done it but I hear it is easy.

My guess is that you are seeing unburned 2 stroke oil run out the exhaust, and down the leg, only to reach your shop floor. Sometimes, depending on a number of factors, it can be a pretty big puddle.

If you run your motor much in the water (as opposed to on the muffs) there is a very simple way to determine if your seal is leaking. Drain and refill the lower unit lube. Thats it, and you probably should do it anyway. When you drain it, if there is water in it, or it is milky, you have a leak. If it is good fluid, you don't. If fluid can leak out, water can get in. And, if water can get in, you can bet your tail end that it will get in. So, if your fluid is good, you have no real worries.