Rhyan Craft: Now BRINE CRAFT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bassboy1 said:
Hope I didn't give you that impression :oops: . I thought you had somewhere to be when you left out so quick.

lol...Not at all, but when Mom asked if I was staying for dinner..... I realized I better not have you working on the boat when supper was ready [-X :LOL2:

Truth is, I didn't expect you to actually work on the boat. I just wanted to pick your brain about a few things with it sitting in front of you, but I'm glad you did. No telling how many hours that saved me. Thanks Bud!

altimas said:
Any updates? Craving some updates!

Not yet. Kids have started football and soccer, work has been slammed, and it's been HOT. Haven't had the tarp off in weeks. Will be starting up again soon. Stay tuned.....

Brine said:
altimas said:
Any updates? Craving some updates!

Not yet. Kids have started football and soccer, work has been slammed, and it's been HOT. Haven't had the tarp off in weeks. Will be starting up again soon. Stay tuned.....

I feel you on the Hotness. Sheesh I about died painting my trailer. My Mom comes over and says, "Be careful now, don't get too hot. Your a big boy and not used to working in this heat." I'm still not sure if she was saying I was an adult or a Lard Arse... but I'm betting on the latter.

Well, after much of nothing on the boat lately...I've gotten the front deck, "mostly" done. Had to get one more sheet of ACM for the build, and now I have enough to finish up everything. Ended up using 1/8" rivets to button down the panel to the framing. These pop a WHOLE LOT easer than the 3/16. It was actually an enjoyable process. :) Not a whole lot of thought in rivet placement, but knowing that they probably aren't going to be covered, I tried to make them symetrical. All in all, I'm happy with the results thus far. I also reinstalled the pedestal base that came with the boat with 1/4" SS x 2" bolts which go through the acm, 1" tubing, and for two of the scews, my 1/8" angle. It's stout. The actual pedestal, seat base, and seat were bought new back during the Spring Sales (2 Springs Ago #-o ) at BPS. The pedestal adjusts in height, and it feels pretty good used as a leaning post. Still have to install some straps as hatch openers (after paint), fab a bow TM mount (or have bassboy do it) and run the electrical in the bow for the tm, ff and nav light.

Here's the progress thus far.

P9050147.jpg

and the with the hatch lids propped up

P9050148.jpg

Looks really nice and a good fishing deck. Curious what the thought process was behind hinging the side compartments on the inboard side?

Jamie

Thanks Ranchero,

Yah... I guess it's not traditional hinging. My thought was the only time I go to those rod lockers is while I'm outside the boat. Before launching, all the rods I plan to fish with go to the deck, and once trailered, they all go back in. I realized this while looking at all the new glass boats at BPS opening up the rod lockers the other way made it next to imposible to do so while outside the boat. Doing it this way, also allowed me to pick up a few inches of usable width I think. For what it's worth, all the hatches will open a full 180 degrees so getting to the inside of them shouldn't be difficult while on the boat if I need to.

This post is for bassboy's benefit, as I am hoping he will be able to fab something up for me. The bow mount trolling motor needs the all too familiar mounting bracket to allow it to function correctly. Keeping with the no wood theme motif, there are quite a few work arounds for this piece. The ACM can't be welded to, and the bracket must allow the trolling motor position once stored to allow the rod locker on the port side to open.

I stuck this piece of 2.75 tall angle under the TM to show the approximate height needed.

P9050154.jpg

Clearance for rod locker

P9050150.jpg

Bracket will have to overhang the bow

P9050151.jpg

P9050149.jpg

Placement of mounting holes relative to deck

P9050152.jpg

The finished idea...

P9050155.jpg

Makes sense. My rear hatches are for tackle so I hinged them outboard. With a 4" gunnel height I never considered losing something over the side.

For the troller, I used 1.125" diameter aluminum tubing and welded directly to the gunnel cap to build a wing in my install. I think that would work well for you application too, just use the tubing to frame a base with a drop to the port side rail at the back of the base.

Jamie

Looks great,not much to add.
Maybe put the trolling motor over as far as it will go,know sense wasting them couple iches.
I just got a guy to weld a piece of 1/4 aluminum to the gunnels with alittle drop down piece.Welded the drop down piece,even though the decking was alot thinnner than the plate,he managed to do it though.
Have a quick release bracket bolted to that.
TM plate.jpg

Made it out to Bassboy Customs today. (I'm still fishing for the company name)

I didn't have to stare at the trolling motor fab long before realizing I needed some help. I'm sure I could have pieced some kinda robotic looking mount out of angle, tubing, acm, and rivets..... [-X but I'm glad I didn't.

After some brainstorming, bassboy proposed a gameplan and started sketching out a drawing, taking some measurements, and cutting up a carboard template for the mount.

P9060157.jpg

First stop was the bandsaw

P9060158.jpg

You can see he's really getting into it now

P9060156.jpg

cont....

Then on to the modified brake

P9060160.jpg

Then on to a mod on the already modified brake! 8)

P9060161.jpg

Then back to the brake

P9060159.jpg

A TIG here...

P9060163.jpg

A TIG there....

P9060162.jpg

cont....

stacking dimes.... (I'm getting the lingo too 8) )

P9060168.jpg

and the finished product

P9060164.jpg

P9060170.jpg

I couldn't be happier with the results.

I wanted to get the motor mounted when I got home, but the hardware store was closed, and Home Depot refuses to carry more than a pencil drawer's worth of stainless, so that will have to be another day.

Thanks again bassboy.

Very nice.

I think I would still put a couple of bolts or something through that foot on the right side. There is an awful lot of torque put into the bracket when your trolling motor is turned to the side. It might help to keep from cracking welds.

Quackrstackr said:
Very nice.

I think I would still put a couple of bolts or something through that foot on the right side. There is an awful lot of torque put into the bracket when your trolling motor is turned to the side. It might help to keep from cracking welds.

Yah...I realize I didn't get a pic of that side. Currently, there are (5) 3/16 rivets through a 1" flange on the side not pictured into my deck. After yanking on it (the mount :wink:), I couldn't get any of it to budge/flex. I debated on using a toggle or two, but after putting in the rivets in it, I realized there was no reason to. I'll be keeping an eye on it though, and thanks for the heads up.

Brine,

That boat is really starting to look good. Looks like it won't be long before you're fishing.

Bassboy,

Awesome work, love the way you fitted up that trolling motor mount. I may want to get you to do something similar with mine when the time comes.

DaveInGA said:
Brine,

That boat is really starting to look good. Looks like it won't be long before you're fishing.

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, I've thought that for almost 2 years now.... :twisted:

Heck, I would have been fishing out of a bare frame, well, actually I did for a year. Not too bad.

Shame you couldn't have decked it with 3/8" plexiglass, that framework looked like a work of art.

Jamie

ha...thanks Ranchero. The rivets (and pics) will have to tell the story now. Unfortunately, I've got brain block on the rear deck as we speak. I've put in a 40 gal water tank as a livewell in the back bench and am having a tough time figuring out how to frame the rest of the stern out so that I get what I want. Been doing more staring than work lately. :x