Scooby's Boat project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firescooby

Reaction score
Got this 14' Blue Star in the beginning of October 2011. It came with a trailer with bad tires and bearings, two trolling motors, two flip seats, and a few other items.

Got it for $500, which around my area is pretty good.

Had to haul it home on a flatbed trailer due to tires and bearings. Got it unloaded and ripped the existing rotted decking out. Currently stripping the paint in prep for sealing the bottom leaks with 5200 and then probably Steelflex.

Future:
Replacing transom
Re-deck with sealed exterior plywood and install carpet
Re-wire trailer and boat
New tires and bearings for trailer
Paint boat (unsure of color right now)

This project will take place over the winter so I can get it ready for spring fishing with my girls.

Attachments

• IMG-20111015-00100.jpg
    IMG-20111015-00100.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 1,791
  • IMG-20111015-00099.jpg
    IMG-20111015-00099.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 1,791
  • Bottom of boat.jpg
    Bottom of boat.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 1,791
  • Boat when bought.jpg
    Boat when bought.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,791
  • Fishing buddies.jpg
    Fishing buddies.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 1,791
Do a search for my Posts. I have a 14ft Seaking and had a 6hp Johnson but have upgraded to a 15HP electric start now. I made a jack plate to raise my motor. Lots of good ideas here. You can do a lot with a little 14ft boat.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21376

100_1992.jpg

100_1980.jpg

100_1991.jpg

Sgt. Stiglitz said:
Do a search for my Posts. I have a 14ft Seaking and had a 6hp Johnson but have upgraded to a 15HP electric start now. I made a jack plate to raise my motor. Lots of good ideas here. You can do a lot with a little 14ft boat.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21376

100_1992.jpg

100_1980.jpg

100_1991.jpg

VERY nice Sarge!! I like what you have done with the decking...may have to "borrow" that. I will be using it mainly in an electric only lakes, but want an outboard for the river and bigger lake.

Got a little more done so far.

First, had to get the camper winterized and washed after our Halloween camping trip.

Removed middle bench seat. Previous owner had cut out the center for a livewell.

Got MOST of the paint stripped. Will be working on getting the rest off, beating out a few dents, checking rivets, and putting the Steelflex on when it comes in.

Also removed the transom wood. Got it out in one piece so I could trace the odd curved shape. Will be replacing with two pieces of wood coated with spar urethane and bonded with monkey glue.

Attachments

• Boat transom.jpg
    Boat transom.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 1,667
  • front of boat labeled.jpg
    front of boat labeled.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 1,667
  • middle seat removed labeled.jpg
    middle seat removed labeled.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 1,667
  • camper winterized.jpg
    camper winterized.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 1,666
I got a hold of a 25hp Johnson today. Hope to have it running by Spring.

Is this going to be too much motor for my boat?

Attachments

• johnson 25hp.jpg
    johnson 25hp.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,569
Little update. Started a new 2nd job and has kept me very busy.

About a month or so ago, bought a "new" old boat and sold the other tin.

I just got done painting it, and taking it for our two week camping trip tomorrow. When I get back I'll start working on decking and all that other stuff.

GO DAWGS!!

Attachments

• Boat after paint.jpg
    Boat after paint.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,236
I don't think a 25hp is too much for that boat, I have a 35 hp on my 15ft boat and it's nice to cruise around at half to three quarters throttle to save a little gas...the colors thou ouch...why not orange and blue? haha just kidding...love the start of this boat... =D>

I've had it out 4 times so far this camping trip.

First trip I fried the 55 MinnKota that I got with the first boat. Been using a 30lb loaner until I pick up my new 55lb MK.

First trip caught a monster Bluegill.

Second trip I caught a couple of crappie, a 3lb largemouth, and a couple of Spots.

My youngest daughter wont get in the boat for anything though. Last year she loved it.

Well, it's getting there. Hopefully will have everything done minus mounting FF by Monday.

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 981
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 981
  • boat 3.jpg
    boat 3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 981

Latest posts