Seafoaming an outboard motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlasdaddy3

Reaction score
I've seen several posts on different forums on outboard motors suggesting that you "seafoam" your motor. What do they mean by that and how do you go about doing it?

Here is the 'Dunk' method of using Seafoam on OB motors:

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39239

Read the ENTIRE post and note Pappy's suggestion to add extra oil as he advises.

FWIW I've been using the Dunk method on 2-stroke everything from lawn mowers, to gas weed trimmers, to snowblowers, pressure washers and chainsaws, as well as to clean out my old Ford Exploder (Explorer) that was a boatyard hauling truck. I treat my OBs every 50-hours running time or once seasonally.

FYI - 'Dunk' is Bob Dunkleberger, a noted marine surveyor and OB guru of some reknown, from the NJ area.

The above link is a good thread. Both methods will work, spraying the aerosol into the carb of a running motor, or mixing it with fuel and running it. I've done this to a couple motors. Most recently a 1969 evinrude 9.5. it had been used as a kicker motor for years and then sat unused for a few years. It did run, but poorly. After de carbonizing it ran much better and compression was measurably better. The OMC engine tuner is good as well. I use Seafoam because it's available at several stores near me. It's the one "snake oil" product that I believe in.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I used to get and use Soot Destroyer for oil fired boilers. Ya would spray it on the carbon soot..let it soak awhile and lite it with a match or flame of some sort. Was not supposed to just turn on the oil burner to lite it off though....wonder if it was like seafoam or other carbon remedy....might just spray some in my motor...

Sinkingfast said:
....wonder if it was like seafoam or other carbon remedy....might just spray some in my motor...
Less Seafoam has a proven history of use in OB motors and 'Soot Destroyer' ... well, has no history and at worst could destroy your $$$$ motor. So go for it :roll:

Sinkingfast said:
I used to get and use Soot Destroyer for oil fired boilers. Ya would spray it on the carbon soot..let it soak awhile and lite it with a match or flame of some sort. Was not supposed to just turn on the oil burner to lite it off though....wonder if it was like seafoam or other carbon remedy....might just spray some in my motor...

Make sure to videotape this. :shock:

Latest posts