Seal/ paint outside of aluminum jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is steelflex the right answer for a 16ft flat bottom jon that will get beached sometimes. I don't want to spend the money for it to scrape and crack. Is there any other reasonable options or am I over thinking this. At the end I'd the day I'm in it to fish but still want to take care of my rig.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 845
Does the boat currently leak? If not, I'd just leave it alone. Aluminum is darn tough and can withstand decades of being beached on gravel. Just don't run it aground at full throttle :shock:

Steelflex is known to chip off on rocks relatively easily. And even if it doesn't chip off, down the road you might have a need to remove the Steelflex to fix the hull .... and that's a pain in the butt.

I feel like a broken record on this, but I'm just a huge fan of bare aluminum hulls. Leaky rivets can be replaced and cracks can be welded for about the same (or less) money than Steelflex.

MrSimon said:
Does the boat currently leak? If not, I'd just leave it alone. Aluminum is darn tough and can withstand decades of being beached on gravel. Just don't run it aground at full throttle :shock:

Steelflex is known to chip off on rocks relatively easily. And even if it doesn't chip off, down the road you might have a need to remove the Steelflex to fix the hull .... and that's a pain in the butt.

I feel like a broken record on this, but I'm just a huge fan of bare aluminum hulls. Leaky rivets can be replaced and cracks can be welded for about the same (or less) money than Steelflex.

Good answer / with You on that....cva34

I agree aluminum is very tough itself. The steelflex wont chip off if everything is preped right but if you don't have any holes then bare aluminum is tougher then anything. Remember anything that is a single part won't hold up like a two part paint. If you are going to be dragging the boat I suggest not painting the bottom. Mabey just the waterline up. Thanks and hope everything works out.