Seat Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheffsboat

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can anyone post up some pics or "how to" instructions on putting in a seat pedestal? I want to put one on the aluminum bench seat on my 12ft jon boat. The thing is I want to get one of those seat pedestals that have a short stub sticking out the bottom so I'm going to have to cut a hole in the bench seat right? Or would it be best to maybe drill in a wooden or metal frame so I don't have to drill into the bench seat. If you could let me see how some of you guys have done it so I can at least have a starting point.

Thanks fellow tin boaters!
Joe

Depending on what type (size) pedestal you want there are two pieces.. The male section goes on the seat, and the female section goes on the bench.. Regardless the size, you will be drilling a hole.. The most popular ( and most likely the cheapest) is the 3/4" size.

I just installed 3 bases on my 14' jon, one for each bench. I will only have (2) seats but it will be nice if me and my fishing partner want to spread out more by he/she moving the middle seat up front. It was my first time doing it and to be honest, it was easy. I used a 2" hole saw pilot bit. Your going to have to drill into that bench in order to get that base to sit flush, unless you built some sort of raised platform; under the base flutes out a little till it actually connects with the pedestal. I found it easy to drill thru the plywood, then placed it on the bench and then after I lined my plywood where I wanted it, just cut into the bench. Carpeted the plywood, then screwed that onto the bench, followed by screwing into the base. All came out great...heres a pic

Sorry for the ramble..... This is the 1st time I did this..im sure someone else may have a better option or idea, but it worked for me. Good luck

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 579

Latest posts