shanty boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LonLB said:
Do you have lake access that is yours or a relatives? If not figure on renting a spot to keep it docked when not in use.

Since it will be HEAVY and BIG, keep that in mind for moving it. Do you have a trailer? Will it need to come out in the winter? Where will you store it in the winter? If you have no where, add storage into the costs.

Not trying to discourage, just trying to bring you down to reality.

If I were to build one, I would either live on the body of water I wanted it on, or I would rent a seasonal site at a campground or something similar so I could keep it docked.
yeah i was thinking about that. I live 2 blocks from the erie canal so i'll try to rent a spot at the marina (its like $375 a year) or ill see if i can con my dad into leting me put it in the back yard if i sell my other boat (1961 crosby).

redneckfisher said:
im thinking of making a 20 foot shanty boat, to float down the erie canal with my brother, like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRHtE4S1CpY but mine will be 20' x 8' with the front deck being 8' long, the living quarters being 10' and the back deck being 2'. has anyone made one of these and is it possable to use plastic barrels for floatation?

Well Young man I sure hope you have more sense than those two guys in the video. Because that stove pipe going up through the WOOD roof sure doesn't look like a double or triple lined stove pipe to me. Just saying. Anyways good luck. You're a much more ambitious person than I because that looks like one whale of a time consuming project. I can barely find time to get back to my run-about-re-modification project from 2 years ago. :(

I tend to agree, If i were a bit younger this could be a fun way to spend the summer, however with the friends i have and the economy the way it is, i may be living in one of these before long anyways.....

OP instead of building the floor system then using barrels as flotation I would look into finding an old pontoon frame like the picture above. I think that would make the boat a lot more maneuverable in the water.

I've got a neighbor that has purchased them before for a couple hundred dollars. His plan was to use them as a floating dock. He has a really large one sitting behind his shed right now, and you gave me a great idea!!

moberg12 said:
OP instead of building the floor system then using barrels as flotation I would look into finding an old pontoon frame like the picture above. I think that would make the boat a lot more maneuverable in the water.

I've got a neighbor that has purchased them before for a couple hundred dollars. His plan was to use them as a floating dock. He has a really large one sitting behind his shed right now, and you gave me a great idea!!
yeah i was looking for pontoons but the only ones i could find where $1500 and my budget is only $800 for the whole boat.

On another forum a guy was talking about using foam blocks used to stack soft drink pallets at grocery stores. apparently the stuff is really strong, resists moisture (because its used to stack heavy stuff outside) and floats just like styrofoam.

You might be able to build a "deck like" floor with this stuff secured between the floor joist's.

You could ask a Grocery store manager about it or just cruise around behind wally world or some grocery stores looking for it (and take it with permission of course).

Im not sure exactly what this guy was talking about, but I know I have seen giant blocks of styrofoam about 1 foot thick and in 10X10 sheets. I have seen it used to float concrete boat docks and floating diving platforms at swimming ponds etc.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress. All us old guys wish we could go with you.

dig it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RaFApVP0zU