Smackdaddy's "Pole Dancer" 1652 Polar Kraft flush deck jet b

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All in due time sir =D> Little things that "seem easy" can be a real pain in the azz.. other things that you expect issues with can go smooth as silk, this I KNOW :shock:

Got my pod design done, Boyd's Welding in Florida quoted me about $395 shipped to my doorstep in Texas. I could not have had them built for less anywhere and this is with $50 shipping included.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370573192.435112.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317955#p317955 said:
smackdaddy53 » 08 Jun 2013, 15:22[/url]"]The height is 8"...I doubt I will draft any more than 6" because Im keeping her light.
Top left of the page shows it.

Very cool,
That’s what I’m looking for as well, a 6" draft. My float test confirms that.

You got your poop in a group, smack. Nice work. Craftsmanship is excellent. Cant wait to see it finished.

I changed my design plans on the pods, went with step pods and changed the depth from 8" to 12" so my steps will be 6" deep. These will be helpful in getting in and out of the boat to wade fish. Ordered them from Boyd's Welding in Florida and they are in fabrication now and will be on my doorstep on July 12. You can't beat custom fabricated pods out of .025" sheet pressure tested and shipped from Florida to Texas for less than $475. All my quotes here at local marine fab shops were $600-750...crazy!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372428998.902383.jpg

My pods are expected to be at my door by this Friday, a week earlier than they quoted! I finished the waterproof LED lights on my trailer yesterday and recieved my sample packet with a material quote for my UltraTuff deck coating. I am going with light grey UltraTuff (Tuffcoat) on my console, deck and partially down the sides and then from there down and on the bottom of my hull I decided on dark grey GatorGlide G4 super slick coating. The G4 is as smooth as the G2 but even more abrasion resistant.
My welder will have my pods welded on (with my help) and most of the boat welded up in about two weeks. After that I am going to fab my tunnel and get it welded on as well. Finally feeling lijke I am making some headway!

Don't mind the blue tape, just supporting the pods to see how they fit. I am fairly happy with Boyd's Welding but they screwed up on the starboard pod and made the side angle 22 degrees instead of 25 degrees. I am tempted to send them back and have them made the way I ordered them. I really don't want any half assed anything on my boat if I can help it and surely not something I paid $470 for to be custom built.
The tape on the motor is to deter dirt dauber wasps from building nests in my motor.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373245766.474055.jpg

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Seems like the pods would cause a cavitation problem in sliding turns. Curious to know how they work once on the water.
Lots of outboard jet boats have pods and work perfectly. Here is one of many that Sonny's Marine sells near me. Im sure he would have stopped having Alweld build boats like this if they did not perform well. Its the same size boat as mine, same tunnel I'm adding and same footprint on the pods. Check this video out, same boat.
https://youtu.be/PBjLua3gT0A

Looking at the pic makes me think that it will be more prone to cavitation in a sliding turn, but it might not...might even make it better. Probably get a great hole shot either way.

One thing that will be easy with the pods is cleaning out the foot if you suck up something.

Alweld doesn't list pods or sponsons as an option for their jet boats on their website.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Looking at the pic makes me think that it will be more prone to cavitation in a sliding turn, but it might not...might even make it better. Probably get a great hole shot either way.

One thing that will be easy with the pods is cleaning out the foot if you suck up something.

Alweld doesn't list pods or sponsons as an option for their jet boats on their website.
Sonny has them custom built to his specs with the higher transom as well. He has been rigging and selling these rigs here on the coast for over 20 years.
My tunnel will actually extend out 12" past the rear of my boat between the sponsons to make up for the manual jack plate setback. It will be like the pods are not even there because the tunnel will be an extension of the hull. And will be welded in as one piece between the pods. Sonny is going to help me out and check everything out before I actually cut a hole in the bottom of the boat and weld in the tunnel. Did you check out the video?