Smackdaddy's "Pole Dancer" 1652 Polar Kraft flush deck jet b

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pembroke36 said:
What speeds were you hitting with the old motor, low 30's?
Bad crank shaft bearing never let me turn over 3000 rpms. I was hitting a blazing 17.9 mph but never really got on plane.
The Merc 90 2 stroke is only 52 pounds heavier and with the prop it will have about 50 more horsepower than the 60/45 jet. The 90 is being completely rebuilt right now. Bored out, new lower unit gears, new everything on the powerhead. It is supposed to test out at about 95-97 hp with bigger pistons and carson racing reeds.
I don't know what my hull speed is but I hope for about 45-48 mph. Jack plate, compression plate and lenco trim tabs should help top end. I am really looking for hole shot since I fish shallow flats most of the time. Picking up a 4 blade prop tomorrow and may have it cupped later to help jump up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411092252.826156.jpg

You should be able to hit that. I also have a 17' Boston Whaler with a 2009 90hp E-Tec and I've hit 43mph in perfect conditions.

I picked up a year old CMC high speed 10" setback jackplate for $600 Monday, mounted it and wired it up. The ram had some light score marks on one side and it made a low humming noise when it got to that area but was operating fine, no leaking hydraulic fluid at all yet. I called CMC and spoke with the Vice President about it, sent some video and pictures and he asked for the serial number. I thought nothing of it but he asked for my mailing address and said a new actuator is going to be shipped to me under warranty. I thought it was very good customer service considering I was not the original purchaser and he knew that after I provided the serial number.
I love deals like this!

It's great that we recognize the manufacturers that take care of their customers. I had a similar story with Paul from Power Pole who replaced parts on a PP that was purchased by a previous owner, but he stated it's still under warranty...good people!

Just wanted to let you know that I have spent the better part of the day reading about your build and I think you have done a great job on this skiff. Between yours and badbaggers and country dave's, my head is spinning. Each of you have great ideas and even better execution. Bought a new to me Sea Ark 1652 and can't wait to get started! This is the best forum I've ever found. You guys rock.

tullymars said:
Just wanted to let you know that I have spent the better part of the day reading about your build and I think you have done a great job on this skiff. Between yours and badbaggers and country dave's, my head is spinning. Each of you have great ideas and even better execution. Bought a new to me Sea Ark 1652 and can't wait to get started! This is the best forum I've ever found. You guys rock.
I really appreciate the kind words man! If it wasn't for this forum I would probably either still be building on that hull or be done with it and not be happy with the end result.
I am counting the days until I get the new motor and my Lenco trim tabs installed. It is about time to let her do what I "built" her for!
That Maverick HPX-T is my main inspiration in my build. I learned to pole a skiff and sight cast off that badass boat! I always tell my buddy I am building an aluminum Maverick!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411957834.598544.jpg

Yessir Big! I am really excited about it. Just the peace of mind with a like new motor is priceless. I can make some long runs and make use of that 25 gallon fuel tank.
I ordered Lenco 12x9" Edge Mount trim tabs this morning and Tran Sport is making a black fiberglass compression plate to fit my motor.
The trim tabs are going on the pods and I have to fab a 1/4" aluminum plate mounting bracket for the actuator to thru bolt to because I am not going flat against the transom or recessing them like most boats. The new CMC high speed actuator came in yesterday and I will be replacing it this evening after work if I get home in time.
My plan is to have everything ready so all I need to really do is mount the motor, get all my rigging reattached and go run her. Yoj know how that goes though!

My Lencos came in today, I will be installing them tomorrow. These are top notch, the components are very high quality. I have to fab a mounting plate for the actuators to mount to because my pods are a little too short to accomodate them but that is no problem.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412393030.081977.jpg

Got halfway done and decided to go dove hunting, my Chocolate Lab turned 11 Oct 3 so I figured we had to. Going to try to finish up the trim tabs today. Picking up the new to me motor in 12 days. I am so ready!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412513919.125938.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412513933.174542.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412513943.557555.jpg

Bored again? 9 days until I get the new motor. I guess you guys want some performance feedback and videos of it running? Week after next I will have plenty of it to post up.

I took it to my buddies welding shop and we welded up the trim tab brackets. Trailer fenders and winch bracket. I will post some pictures tomorrow.
Here is a little project boat he is working on. I sold it to him and he put a tunnel in it and a is working on some trim tabs and a splash plate.
Recognize that manual jack plate? He welded it together and welded the thnnel extension to it for now.
He ran it yeaterday and it runs in less than 6". We wanted a little boat to run over shallow gravel bars to get to some fishing holes. The Guadalupe River down here is in bad shape due to lack of rain and the northern lakes holding water back.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412907419.804088.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412907431.320947.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412907441.370574.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412907452.137150.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412907462.370856.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412907470.220866.jpg

I am on an 11 day stretch of 14 hour days at work, sorry but I had to take pics with my headlights.
I cut off the points, welded up the back side to reinforce the trim tab actuator. Fabbed these mounting plates out of 1/4" diamondplate and 2x2x1/4" tubing. Sealed the screw holes with 3M 5200 to keep my pods dry inside.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413077025.322034.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413077040.582640.jpg

Looking good bro,

Why not weld your square tube to the top of the pod. Just grind away the area so it sits flush and run a bead around it. Looks great. I'm entertaining the thought of installing a set on my skiff. Tight work bro she looks great.... =D>

Left the house at 4 am and arrived at the shop to pick up my motor. These guys at Texas Outboard Rebuild are top notch. They had all my paper work ready to sign and the rest in a nice folder so it was in and out. They broke in the motor for the first 4 hours and it is up to me to finish the powerhead/new lower unit break in this weekend.
I got home around 3:00pm and got her mounted and started assessing what I need to pick up tomorrow to finish the install and have her ready to go Sunday bright and early.
I will get it all buttoned up tomorrow along with the trim tabs/jackplate switches and wiring installed. I am going with a blinker style switch for my jack plate on the left side of my steering and putting the trim tab switch panel right above my motor controls if it looks good there. If not, I will mount them on the vertical panel somewhere easy to access while under way.
The motor is trimmed all the way in and jack plate is all the way down in the picture. I get 5" more vertical travel with the jack plate. I will find out if my compression plate helps maintain water pressure. If it doesn't, I will fabricate a low water pickup.
Here she is!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413604133.160636.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413604150.542823.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413604166.343705.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413604183.626735.jpg

Latest posts