Small leaks in boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
San Dimas said:
I used Gluvit on my 14' Valco. Had about 6 leaky rivets and a leaky seam. Used it on the inside and now the boat is bone dry. :)

Thanks for the info.

Got the boat back and had a hell of a time getting the plywood back on the transom. The shop had to cut out three pieces and weld new ones (about 4" x 8") in place of the corroded sections. Put 5200 on all the nuts and bolts reinstalling the transom and did a leak test today. Much less leakage but still some. I put some more 5200 in the areas that were leaking and will leak test again tomorrow. This is getting very frustrating and I have a lot of patience! lol

Don't look forward to spending another 50 bucks on Gluvit but it seems like the last resort if it still leaks. I'd like my boat to be bone dry also but maybe that isn't a realistic goal. :?:

jigngrub said:
jigngrub said:
When you've tried everything but the Gluvit and/or Coat-it, you can clean all that junk off and then use the Gluvit to fix you problem.

Do you remember this?

Was that really necessary? I think constructive/helpful comments are what's needed most here.

JMichael said:
Was that really necessary? I think constructive/helpful comments are what's needed most here.

So what's your constructive/helpful comment???

I tried to help but was ignored, now the OP has to clean all of that crap off that I told him wasn't going to work and start over... have you ever tried to remove cured 3M 5200?

Maybe you can give us some insight on how the remove the cured 5200 quickly and easily?... or do you just want to bash me?

jigngrub said:
Put the 5200 on the outside... and when that doesn't work put it on the inside... and when that doesn't work...

... you'll see what I mean.

Actually, 5200 works quite well when properly applied. The regular 5200 does seem to be a little stronger than the fast cure version, though.

5200 works well for sealing through hull penetrations like screws and bolts through the transom, but for fixing leaky seams and rivets in a tinny... not so much. Plus it looks like a Billy goat's butt sewed up with a grapevine when you're finished.

Since your in Florida like me here is the cheapest place to get Gluvit. Even with shipping it's cheaper than West marine and most other places. Only took two days with standard shipping for me to get it here in Orlando.

https://www.pbsboatstore.com/gluvit-epoxy-water-sealer.htm

jigngrub said:
JMichael said:

So what's your constructive/helpful comment???

I tried to help but was ignored, now the OP has to clean all of that crap off that I told him wasn't going to work and start over... have you ever tried to remove cured 3M 5200?

Maybe you can give us some insight on how the remove the cured 5200 quickly and easily?... or do you just want to bash me?
No, I can't offer any insight on how to remove 5200 because, no, I've never had to remove any. The 5200 that I applied to thru holes and a rivet on my boat are one year old and still holding strong so there hasn't been a need to remove it. And if you think that my asking a simple question about the necessity of a comment, or my suggesting that constructive/helpful were needed was "bashing" you, then you need to break out your dictionary and look up what "bashing" means.

Barrynfla, sorry to clutter up your thread with my non constructive response to a post directed at me. Hope everything is working out for you with your leak.