ss props on small motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crankworm

Reaction score
I just became aware of the fact that I could buy a stainless steel prop for my 15 horse johnson. Does anyone have any experience with these on a motor that small? I know the performance gains on larger motors but not sure about it on a 15. Right now I have a 9x11 aluminum on it and run 25-26mph on the gps with me and my fishing gear. Not sure I need to go faster in a 14' boat but it would look cool to have the shiny blades hanging off the back.

Sounds like a bit of a waste, unless you really need a new prop. Might look cool (or stupid) depending on the person, but I doubt performance gains would be worthwhile.

I took a wire wheel to my prop because the paint was chipping off in some spots. Have actually had a few people ask me about my "stainless prop." :wink:

I have a stainless on my 15 Evinrude.I sharpened the blades a bit so I can fly through the weeds.We have some big weed beds where I go fishing & for me a stainless is the only way to go.I bought mine pretty cheap & used.I believe I only see speeds of about 25 to 26 mph with it.
A stainless prop can run more cup in the blade which lets you run your motor higher out of the water which means you can run in shallower water also.