Strped Bass for Dinner anyone?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Spent yesterday picking away at some new spots in Kent County, Delaware - not known for the stripers I managed (with a few hints from friends) to land about 8 or 10

Only one keeper at 28.5"

Steve with a little guy:

9-29-09Garrisons001.jpg

Me with another schoolie:

9-29-09Garrisons002.jpg

The keeper:

9-29-09Garrisons003.jpg

And the keeper after some fancy *** Ahab style knife work:

9-29-09Garrisons004.jpg

Good to see you got out Dave. Not that I expected you to stay home. :wink:

Dinner looks good. Have to get some for myself soon.

What are you using to catch them on?

A friend and I went out the other night with some cut trout, but all I managed was a catfish that got off at the boat...

A 3/4 oz Suspending Rat-L-Trap in chrome and burple was the ticket yesterday - I always try to match the hatch and in this instance these fall stripes were eating peanut bunker and shad as it migrated to the Delaware bay.

Find out what your fish are feeding on and use something with a similar profile

Captain Ahab said:
(with a few hints from friends)
Must be nice ;)
WTG Capt :)

That keeper didnt have a 2" White Twister or a Chrome/Blue Tint Trap in its mouth did it .. LMAO !!

Hey Capt., how do those stipers taste? I've been told to cut out the red meat cause it tastes like crap? Looks like a lot of red in those fillets. Does the red go all the way through or just on the surface? I ate a small stipper fillet a few years ago - didn't notice anything particularly bad tasting, but it wasn't near as big as those and didn't have near the amount of red meat. ??????

FishingCop said:
Hey Capt., how do those stipers taste? I've been told to cut out the red meat cause it tastes like crap? Looks like a lot of red in those fillets. Does the red go all the way through or just on the surface? I ate a small stipper fillet a few years ago - didn't notice anything particularly bad tasting, but it wasn't near as big as those and didn't have near the amount of red meat. ??????

The red meat is only on the very surface - less the 1/64"

They taste really yummy - one of the best eating fish around

Nice fish, is that some kind of tumor on the one in pic 2? I know white bass have a mud line that you're spose to cut out, do stripers?

angry Bob said:
Nice fish, is that some kind of tumor on the one in pic 2? I know white bass have a mud line that you're spose to cut out, do stripers?

That is a leaf that stuck to the fish when I removed the hook

No mud line

FishingCop said:
I ate a small stipper fillet a few years ago - didn't notice anything particularly bad tasting, but it wasn't near as big as those and didn't have near the amount of red meat. ??????

Most "strippers" do have small fillets. Big buns, but small fillets. :LOL2: Was that while you were still "on the job" ?? :wink:

DocWatson said:
FishingCop said:
I ate a small stipper fillet a few years ago - didn't notice anything particularly bad tasting, but it wasn't near as big as those and didn't have near the amount of red meat. ??????

Most "strippers" do have small fillets. Big buns, but small fillets. :LOL2: Was that while you were still "on the job" ?? :wink:

Ya know, I guess I could tell a little about strippers, but I was actually talking about stripers when I asked about red meat :lol: Nice catch Doc

Latest posts