Suggestions on deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasr

Reaction score
First off, I heartedly applaud all of you folks. Your ingenuity, resourcefulness and creativity are truly inspiring. So inspiring in fact that you motivated me to transform my own 1442 Skeeter. I wanted to put a raised deck in the front. Not very high, half way up maybe, even with the top of front bench, from the back of the front bench all the way till the front deck. The pic will give you an idea what I’m talking about.
I have an issue though. Maybe somebody here has encountered it and can help me out with a way forward. Obviously I’d love to be able to use a single piece of plywood, however the area I need to cover is 51X54. I’m thinking it is better to just use two pieces split down the middle. But how do I get the structural rigidity back in the center? Is there another option I’m overlooking? I’ll be covering it with carpet if that matters so how it looks under the carpet won’t bother me. The angle of the front two ribs concerns me a little. The plywood, in whatever fashion I cut it will have kind of slide forward as it’s going down, not straight down. Thoughts on that? I appreciate your ideas.

Attachments

• Frame resized.jpg
    Frame resized.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 940
I think this is a Lund.

GLnudEJl.jpg

Johnny,
Yeah I could that. My OCD may conflict me for a little bit, with it not being balanced and all, but once covered I could probably learn to forget about it. Could be a little tricky, that framing is a little less than 3/4 wide

Water bouy,
That looks neat and professional...wonder what the framing looks like underneath it?

What do you think about this? What if I split it down the middle (keep my OCD from getting inflamed) but once everything is cut and fitting well reinforce the underside of the plywood with other pieces of plywood (cut to allow for the ladder rungs...yes ladder rungs, I'm cheap) down the length of the cut. Pieces would be say 10"X4" attached with screws and liquid nails? Am I over thinking this?

I really like your idea of using a extension latter for sub frame, Jonny is right and also you could use a 3/8 and laminate them together so no seems will show

Johnny,
That's it! You pictorialized what I was trying to get a cross. Good idea about only gluing one side. That could come in handy some day.

Lockndam25,
I can't take the credit for the ladder idea, I actually stole that idea from somebody on here. Strong, light, won't rust, not hard to work with. Brilliant idea. If I could remember who I stole it from I would so give them credit.

Thanks folks...

Latest posts