Taking the Leap. '81 Starcraft Seafarer Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Turbo. Yes it does tuck into the "water line" groove. I wanted to try to bring the rigidity back to the hull after removing the center seat. It took a while to get it to fit properly, but it already helps and I haven't even begun to fasten anything down yet.
The next step is eurothaning the wood and sealing the inside of the hull. Then we can actually fasten the floor and frame to the hull. We'll be cutting out a couple of cubby holes for storage. I want a cubby just for 3700 series tackle boxes. I bought a couple of those boxes last year and they're really versatile. The only things holding us up right now are TIME & MONEY, so if anyone has extra of either of those, let me know and I will come get them!!! LOL
We've been "stealing shamelessly" from others on this site as well as other places for ideas for this project and thanks for all of the advice and support so far from all of you. I wish I had some new pics to upload, but soon I hope to have more.

On another subject, does anyone have an idea for tying the floor frame to the support brace up in the bow of the boat. I have a few 2x2's coming together there and I can't figure out how to connect them. The horizontal frame is solid, just need to attach it to the vertical support to the bottom side somehow. Take a look at the pic, it's kinda hard to see, but it's the best pic I could get to show it.

Attachments

• Boat 03.19.12 3.jpg
    Boat 03.19.12 3.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 1,224
Well I am finally getting a little time and money to get back to work (emphasis on little!!!). The next thing that needed to be done was urethane all of the wooden pieces. I had an extra $40 bucks burning a hole in my pocket at the beginning of the month, so I blew it on a gallon of urethane and a few $.99 paint brushes. Almost cheaper than gas!!! LOL.
We have most of the floor pieces done and the transom has a simple carving in the one end. Man, when I put the first coat of urethane on the transom it really brought out the amazing natural color of the white oak. It looks beautiful!!! I could not be happier with it. I still had to cut the hatches out in the casting deck, so I knocked that out. It turned out pretty good to this point.
The next step will be the BIG one... putting a sealant on the hull. I'm leaning towards that Gluvit stuff. I've heard alot of guys on this site blogging about it with good revues. Only problem is, at this rate it will take me three months to afford a gallon of it! Is it worth it or is there another alternative?

Check our progress:Boat 5.12.12 7.jpg

Attachments

• Boat 5.9.12 2.jpg
    Boat 5.9.12 2.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 1,193
  • Boat 5.12.12 3.jpg
    Boat 5.12.12 3.jpg
    970.9 KB · Views: 1,193
  • Boat 5.13.12 3.jpg
    Boat 5.13.12 3.jpg
    921.9 KB · Views: 1,193
  • Boat 5.13.12 1.jpg
    Boat 5.13.12 1.jpg
    938.9 KB · Views: 1,193
Nice work... I love colors and lines in the wood brought out by a stain and sealer. It's kind of expensive stuff but you shouldn't need a gallon of Gluvit. I used a quart on my 14 footer. I hit all the seams and rivet heads on inside with a light coat first. I wasn't sure how far one quart would take me, but I was able to get two more good coats over the seams and rivets easily.

Thanks atuck. I was thinking it would take a gallon to do the whole inside of the hull. But you're saying you just did all the seems and rivets. Makes sense I guess, it shouldn't even leak anywhere else. Where did you get your Gluvit? I've seen it on ebay. Also, do you have any suggestions for carpet? I need "Bang for the Buck".
I just hope we can finish before the season is over for the year. It's been a slow process, but I'd rather do it right than fast.
Anyway, thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Umm I think I just bought my Gluvit from Ebay or the Amazon Marketplace. Ha unless you have a punctured hull, the seams and rivet heads would be the only place it would leak, I would think. I priced marine grade carpet from BPS, Cabelas, and even several other online merchants. Its some expensive stuff. I ended up buying mine from Lowes. Its outdoor grade patio carpet and was less than half the cost as the other stuff. So far its held up very well. Will it last as long as the expensive stuff... only time will tell but even the expensive stuff needs to be replaced after awhile too.

Hahnzookeeper: I've been checking out the photos of your boat and I like the idea of that piece of plywood that is directly behind the bow cap. I have the same boat and would like to create some space for mounting a spotlight up there, so I'm wondering how you attached that to the boat??? I would appreciate if you could elaborate on how that is attached and maybe provide a good photo of it. Thanks!

Do you think that removing the center bench seat will effect the rigidity of the boat? Would some type of strut on each side be an option??

fishinnut,
Yes I thought long and hard about just that. That's why I came up with a floor frame design that would bring back as much (if not all) of the original rigidity as possible. The floor frame will tie directly to the ribs in the boat hull and the 3/4" marine grade plywood floor, while wedged in the "waterline" groove, will be attached to the floor frame via #10x1-1/2" SS deck screws. Even during a fitting, the boat"s rigidity was enhanced dramatically. So I' m looking forward to fastening everything down and seeing what it feels like.

A buddy of mine came over yesterday and gave me a great idea to brace the casting deck frame. So this morning, while I put another coat of urethane on the other pieces, I made this brace. Check it out.

Attachments

• Boat 05.20.12 5.jpg
    Boat 05.20.12 5.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 1,851
  • Boat 05.20.12 3.jpg
    Boat 05.20.12 3.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 1,851
  • Boat 05.20.12 1.jpg
    Boat 05.20.12 1.jpg
    949.9 KB · Views: 1,851
Well, so far we've got a total investment (including the cost of original $150 purchase and the $370 trolling motor) of $1028.51. Way less than new, plus it has a little bit of me and the boys sweat in it! Totally worth it, wouldn't you say???

Wait a minute... The trolling motor (a gift) was more than the whole boat, motor, and trailer??? Oh yeah!!! That DOES sound funny!

The really funny part is my wife accidentally appraised it at $3000 two months ago!!! (during an argument). I wouldn't sell it for less than $5000 HaHa!!! WOULDN'T SELL IT!!! EVER!!!

Hey,
Does anyone have a good suggestion as to what type of fastener(s) I can use to attach the 3/4" marine plywood to the 2x2 wooden frame-work? Do I just use SS deck screws? Or is there an actual marine fastener?
I'm also almost to the point where I'm contemplating whether or not to paint the exterior of the boat. It would be easier while the boat can be flipped over, but has anyone ever painted the exterior after? What primer and paint should I use?

Thanks, Jeremy

I hope it's just that everyone has been working on their tins or too busy catching fish that I haven't heard from anyone. I need some feedback on this subject as it is next on my list of things that need to be done to the "Musky Bucket".
Has anyone ever heard of and or worked with "Amazing Goop Coat It" epoxy sealant? If so, what are your thoughts? I stumbled across this stuff while trying to find Gluvit at the lowest price possible. I have seen several posts on this site and others that say Gluvit is one of the best if not the best sealant for these tins. Any help is appreciated.

HahnZooKeeper said:
Hey,
Does anyone have a good suggestion as to what type of fastener(s) I can use to attach the 3/4" marine plywood to the 2x2 wooden frame-work? Do I just use SS deck screws? Or is there an actual marine fastener?
I'm also almost to the point where I'm contemplating whether or not to paint the exterior of the boat. It would be easier while the boat can be flipped over, but has anyone ever painted the exterior after? What primer and paint should I use?

Thanks, Jeremy

SS screws are perfect, so are good quality deck screws, at much less cost. Are you carpeting ?

Yes, I'm carpeting all of the horizontal surfaces vertical surfaces are going to be bare urethane finished wood.
Is it normal to run screws in after the carpet is on? What does that do to the carpet if anything? I had to trim quite a bit from my hatch doors just to get one layer of carpeting to fit between. Any pointers on how to do that too?

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Got some sealant today, I'm gonna get it on this weekend (hopefully)!?!

Attachments

• Boat 06.04.2012.jpg
    Boat 06.04.2012.jpg
    711.6 KB · Views: 1,751
  • Boat 06.07.2012 1.jpg
    Boat 06.07.2012 1.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 1,751
We applied the "Coat-It" sealant today. A couple days before the primer, then some paint. Thanks "Cheesehead", Couldn't have done it without you!!!

Attachments

• Boat 06.13.2012 1.jpg
    Boat 06.13.2012 1.jpg
    864.2 KB · Views: 1,735
  • Boat 06.13.2012 2.jpg
    Boat 06.13.2012 2.jpg
    918.4 KB · Views: 1,735
  • Boat 06.13.2012 3.jpg
    Boat 06.13.2012 3.jpg
    1,016.2 KB · Views: 1,735

Latest posts