Taking the Leap. '81 Starcraft Seafarer Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandon,
Trust me it's so worth the wait! Resist the temptation to "gitRdun", because that's what it will look like when you're done. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Best of luck to you. Hope to see your build when you get it done "right".

HahnZooKeeper said:
Brandon,
Trust me it's so worth the wait! Resist the temptation to "gitRdun", because that's what it will look like when you're done. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Best of luck to you. Hope to see your build when you get it done "right".

I have a stockpile of pics saved up :)

Well, here are the pics. I hope you like it.

Attachments

• Boat Transom 7.jpg
    Boat Transom 7.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 2,682
  • Boat Transom 6.jpg
    Boat Transom 6.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 2,682
  • Boat Transom 5.jpg
    Boat Transom 5.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 2,682
  • Boat Transom 4.jpg
    Boat Transom 4.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 2,682
  • Boat Transom 3.jpg
    Boat Transom 3.jpg
    958.1 KB · Views: 2,682
  • Boat Transom 2.jpg
    Boat Transom 2.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 2,682
  • Boat Transom 1.jpg
    Boat Transom 1.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 2,682
Well alot has happened since my last post. Primed and painted the boat, tested for leaks out on the water, mounted the front casting deck, and a bunch more. Check it out.
We still have to mount the main floor (as soon as I can afford the seat bases I want!!!), run wire, Mount the trolling motor deck, battery compartment needs to be finished. As you can see, we still have quite a bit of work. But I really think we can get out for a couple of Muskie Hunts yet this season.

Attachments

• Boat 9.14.12 paint 2.jpg
    Boat 9.14.12 paint 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,645
  • Boat 9.14.12 paint 1.jpg
    Boat 9.14.12 paint 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,645
  • Boat 9.8.12 test 4.jpg
    Boat 9.8.12 test 4.jpg
    937.1 KB · Views: 2,645
  • Boat 9.8.12 primer 3.jpg
    Boat 9.8.12 primer 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,645
It's been a while since my last post and alot has happened. Had a little trouble with my computer to start with. (Always a bit of a setback) Well, it looks like we've gotten the boat "ready" just in time for the end of the season!
It's been almost 11 months since we started this project and we're really still not done, but enough is done we can at least take her out once before the weather gets bad.
Here are a couple of pics to chaeck out.

Attachments

• Boat 9.29.12 test.jpg
    Boat 9.29.12 test.jpg
    986.5 KB · Views: 2,561
  • Boat 10.17.12 6.jpg
    Boat 10.17.12 6.jpg
    667.2 KB · Views: 2,561
  • Boat 10.17.12 1.jpg
    Boat 10.17.12 1.jpg
    727 KB · Views: 2,561
  • Boat 9.23.12 deck 2.jpg
    Boat 9.23.12 deck 2.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 2,561
Man that thing looks sweet, and I love how you did it with your kids, teach em a hard days work pays off...nothing in the world better than that...good job sir... =D> =D> =D>

Thanks Gator. It's been alot of work mixed with patience and learning, but totally worth it. We're still not all the way done, but we did get the chance to take her out this past Sunday. My buddy "Cheesehead" and I each took our boats out, and let me just say this, "We should have just stayed home!" Thankfully everything turned out fine, but the wind was terrible. At least I got the "Worst case scenario" right out of the gate! Once we got away from the landing (almost 45 min.!) the boat performed awesome! It is so much more stable even in that wind and the almost 2ft waves. Needless to say, I was very happy with that. Then it came to getting back on the trailers. OH BOY!!! That was an even bigger struggle followed by a soaking.
Lesson learned! We will NOT be doing that again! Oh yeah, and not even a fish in the boats.

Attachments

• Fishing 11.11.12 3.jpg
    Fishing 11.11.12 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,549
  • Fishing 11.11.12 2.jpg
    Fishing 11.11.12 2.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 2,549
  • Boat 11.10.12 3.jpg
    Boat 11.10.12 3.jpg
    990.8 KB · Views: 2,549
  • Boat 11.10.12 2.jpg
    Boat 11.10.12 2.jpg
    975.5 KB · Views: 2,549
That happens sometimes man, in life as I'm sure you and all of us know, the best lessons are from mistakes.

Really nice job on your machine! Looks fantastic. How did you like the "coat-it"? Did it completely seal it? Would the gallon size completely cover the inside of your boat? I just picked up a new project and the previous owner used some type of tar on every rivet on the front and bottom side of the boat, i`m in the process of removeing it and want to seal it from the inside. Just curious on your thoughts . Thanks

Zoo,
What paint did you use? Sorry if I missed it in the posts, but it looks great. Very nice job on the whole project. You guys will enjoy it.

Well Ultra to answer your question(s). Yes, I like the "Coat It" product, but be careful when working with it. It starts out a little watery, stays that way for a while, then really starts to thicken up fast. Ask a friend to help, you'll be glad you did. Secondly, a gallon will be enough to do your boat and probably a friend's boat too. I used a quart (just right) on the seams and rivets because of a post I received on this blog that said "Why coat the whole boat, when only the rivets and seams are gonna leak. If you leak somewhere else, you've got bigger problems!" I hope this helps you.
Moccasin Don, we used Rustoleum "Top Side" paint on both the interior and exterior. I think it comes in four colors. Just be sure to use a good "self etching" primer and scuff up the primer and paint before the next coat. We put two coats on the outside using a roller. It dried real smooth, I was surprised/pleased at how well it turned out.
Thanks to this website and its members, we got alot of great advise. We "Stole Shamelessly" and built a boat we will hopefully be able to enjoy for many years. I hope that others can use some of the successes AND failures from our build to do their own. I have had a great time working on this project with my boys and have met some great people along the way. I still have a couple of things I want to do, so look out for more posts as we button her up before the start of next season. Particularly the electrical stuff.

Attachments

• Boat on the water 1.jpg
    Boat on the water 1.jpg
    938 KB · Views: 724
I enjoyed reading your thread, and no doubt you created some great memories
with the family. Good job. =D>
You'll be all set come next season. Enjoy!

jasper

It's great to see other Seafarer 14s out there. I'm starting a build on mine Tuesday (1/8/13). I'm going to build a huge front casting deck with plenty of underneath storage, and modify the rear deck as well. I'm planning on raising the decks to within 3" of the top rail. How will this affect the "tippiness" of the boat?

Latest posts