Taking the Leap. '81 Starcraft Seafarer Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost a month since my last post. Just pluggin' away at it when I can. Really hot here lately, then a power outage. Priorities changed a bit. I have had a little time to work on her though.
Hope to finish soon :roll:

Attachments

• Boat 7.4.12 5.jpg
    Boat 7.4.12 5.jpg
    818.5 KB · Views: 1,431
  • Boat 06.24.12 6.jpg
    Boat 06.24.12 6.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 1,431
Looking great! Keep up the good work. =D>

How long were You without power? I'm about 25mi NE of the Fort and we were out form Fri @ 3:20, til Sun @ 2:30, thankfully I bought a generator 15yrs. ago since we're the last house on the line that serves our road. Kept 2 frigs. 1 freezer and the well going strong. We even managed to watch Nascar Sat. nite, and had a fan running to make it bearable in the house. Surprisingly it only used about 15 gal. of gas for all that time, sure beat the alternative. :lol:

Novaman

Novaman,
We got our power back on Tuesday a little after noon. Borrowed a generator from my boss (not such a bad guy) and made it through. They say "it's like camping"!!! IT'S NOTHTING LIKE CAMPING! That heat!!!
Anyway, trying not to let that slow us down, we got a little more work done on the boat this week and managed to go fishing with a buddy last night. Caught a couple little ones, but had a blast.

So blessed to have an awesome God, great family, good friends, and to live free!!!

Attachments

• Boat 7.7.12 5.jpg
    Boat 7.7.12 5.jpg
    743.3 KB · Views: 1,408
  • Boat 7.7.12 1.jpg
    Boat 7.7.12 1.jpg
    999.3 KB · Views: 1,408
man, this boat is looking great. im curious to how you secured the supports for the casting deck to the bottom of the boat. also the frame for the floor?

Mr. Fahrenheit said:
man, this boat is looking great. im curious to how you secured the supports for the casting deck to the bottom of the boat. also the frame for the floor?

Mr. Fahrenheit,
Thanks for the compliment, we've been working really hard. The casting deck will be supported primarily by rivets holding the new deck frame to the original front seat. But also with a series of angular 2"x2"s up front and gravity. (Check out some of my earlier pics to see what we've done.) If that doesn't help let me know, it's just really difficult to describe what we did.
As far as the floor frame goes, I'll be posting some pics of that soon. I made some simple custom brackets to attach the cross members to the ribs in the hull, (I hope they work?!?). Then I plan to make two custom length risers for each cross member for additional support. Finally back-fill it with foam for sound dampening and flotation.

I'm not sure, but I think we're in the home stretch! Mounting the floor frame and shopping for carpet and paint. (Sounds like one of those "Home Improvement" shows. BORING!!!) Just kidding, they're cool... in their own way.
It's true though, we're almost there. I can smell it!!! Alot of hard work, but well worth it I think. (I hope my family enjoys and appreciates it too.) Worked a little yesterday and today on the floor frame, check it out.

Attachments

• Boat 7.17.12 1.jpg
    Boat 7.17.12 1.jpg
    633 KB · Views: 1,360
  • Boat 7.17.12 4.jpg
    Boat 7.17.12 4.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 1,360
  • Boat 7.17.12 6.jpg
    Boat 7.17.12 6.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 1,360
Looking great, just keep herding the zoo in the direction You need, and it'll be done in no time. Maybe we could have a boat show at the shop, and let people see just how fanatical we can be about our boats. 8) ( Our wives already know :wink:) .

Here's our latest work. Floor frame finished and a coat of paint.

Attachments

• Boat 7.22.12 5.jpg
    Boat 7.22.12 5.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 1,316
  • Boat 7.22.12 6.jpg
    Boat 7.22.12 6.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 1,316
  • Boat 7.22.12 3.jpg
    Boat 7.22.12 3.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 1,316
  • Boat 7.22.12 1.jpg
    Boat 7.22.12 1.jpg
    914.9 KB · Views: 1,316
  • Boat 7.21.12 3.jpg
    Boat 7.21.12 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,316
Hey guys,
It's been a little bit since my last post. We've been busy with the rest of our lives and have only had a little time to work on the boat. I know most everyone is out on the water enjoying their boats and boy, do I wish we were too! But I really just want to take my time and do it right. No regrets.
Finally got the courage yesterday to drill throught the top rail to install the mounts for the trolling motor deck. I was sweating bullets for a minute (just didn't wanna screw up!) But it went really well. Got a roll of marine carpet, but forgot all of the overlap of the levels (OOPS). I'll need more. Time to install carpeting. Fastened the casting deck to the old front seat (36 bolts and 50 rivets). Made a piece of conduit for the bow electrical from 1" PVC, just need to mount it down.
I'll have some more pics soon, I'm getting excited now!

Update 8/10/12:

Checked transom fit as well as did some final drilling in the protector plate. It's looking good, just need to find some "truss head" screws locally, it's been difficult. I would like to use Truss Heads rather than round/pan head only because of the head diameter. (it's what was used before.) Sand it once more and another coat of urethane, and it's done!!! Every time I mention urethane anymore, my wife rolls her eyes! It's comical!
Got a start on the carpeting... Did NOT realize how difficult it was!!! Had my 15 yr old boy helping me, what a trooper, we worked for a solid 1-1/2 hrs on our first 4 pieces. Check pics, pretty happy with results.
Finally, I was out at my local Wal Mart and found the seat posts I have been looking for on clearance. Originally $12 marked down to $3. SOLD!!! For things like this, I love Wal Mart! So check your Wal Mart and get what you can!

Attachments

• Boat 8.10.12 7.jpg
    Boat 8.10.12 7.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 1,284
  • Boat 08.31.11 1.jpg
    Boat 08.31.11 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,284
  • Boat 8.9.12.jpg
    Boat 8.9.12.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,284
Getting some pieces carpeted, fitting as I go. Found a couple of issues with the hatch doors, didn't build in enough clearance for the carpeting (thought I did). Other than that, it's going really well.

Attachments

• Boat 8.12.12 2.jpg
    Boat 8.12.12 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,280
Well, we got a little more done this week. I would like to be further along, but "slow & steady" won the race...right???
Found out that when you wrap carpet around the panels during installation, it adds almost a half inch to the overall dimension! Had to remove the carpeting and re-cut the hatch doors. Grrr!!! Other than that, it's gone pretty well I think (knock on wood!). Speaking of wood, I hope you all like the use of the wood on the panels. It's not for everyone, I was just thinking of the old Chris-Craft boats. Just beautiful.
Anyway, check out the fit so far. Also did a little more painting.

Attachments

• Boat 8.19.12 7.jpg
    Boat 8.19.12 7.jpg
    659 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Boat 8.19.12 3.jpg
    Boat 8.19.12 3.jpg
    970.7 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Boat 8.18.12 3.jpg
    Boat 8.18.12 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,264
  • Boat 8.18.12 2.jpg
    Boat 8.18.12 2.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 1,264
Well, my wife really did it this time! She got me an awesome 5-switch panel from Seasense. So naturally, I had to get it mocked up as soon as I opened the box! I Love You Honey!!! Thank you. Can't wait to go out on the boat... just you and me :wink:Boat 8.20.12 2.jpg

Attachments

• Boat 8.20.12 4.jpg
    Boat 8.20.12 4.jpg
    925.2 KB · Views: 2,719
Thanks Guys,
More than anything, I have needed patience. I have to resist the urge to "Just get it done!" and continue to do things the way we have been.

HahnZooKeeper said:
Thanks Guys,
More than anything, I have needed patience. I have to resist the urge to "Just get it done!" and continue to do things the way we have been.

I have to do the same thing. I want to just get mine done but I know if I take my time it will turn out way better!

Latest posts