Talk me out of a flat bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally like the extra front deck space my Alumacraft 1648 flatbottom offers over the 1648MV model. TM is all the way to the left and when deployed sits in the water at the forward left corner but it trolls just like any other mod-v ive been in that had the TM mounted at an angle to deploy at the centerline of the boat. It also has a truly flat bottom just aft of the front deck which will allow for easier installation of a floor. The caveat to my situation is that I only have a 15hp motor on it as I use it on hp restricted lakes. At 20 mph I don't think it really matters if it was a mod-v or a flatbottom. If you are moving 30mph+ often the mod-v would probably make a lot more sense.

wmk0002 said:
I personally like the extra front deck space my Alumacraft 1648 flatbottom offers over the 1648MV model. TM is all the way to the left and when deployed sits in the water at the forward left corner but it trolls just like any other mod-v ive been in that had the TM mounted at an angle to deploy at the centerline of the boat. It also has a truly flat bottom just aft of the front deck which will allow for easier installation of a floor. The caveat to my situation is that I only have a 15hp motor on it as I use it on hp restricted lakes. At 20 mph I don't think it really matters if it was a mod-v or a flatbottom. If you are moving 30mph+ often the mod-v would probably make a lot more sense.

Thanks for the post and enjoyed reading through your build posts. Had no idea there is wood under those from decks, I wonder if Lowe is made the same way?

Update:
Went back to AK Mccallum again today for another look, fully intending to buy a Lowe Aura. Once I got there I looked at all the boats again: Alweld, Alumacraft, Lowe, etc. Ended up going with the 1648 Alweld Marsh Flat, you can land a helicopter on the front deck of that boat, and the rest of the boat is voluminous. Comes pre-wired for trolling motor and running lights and non-slip coating. I added optional locking storage behind the front deck in place of the open storage bay. For the type of fishing I do I don't see where the mod-v would be a huge factor and the size difference was substantial.

Really excited about this boat, it will probably be the last boat I buy :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 5.02.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 5.02.56 PM.png
    387.5 KB · Views: 1,609