Targeting SmallMouth Bass

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BassAddict said:
Andy said:
Too bad a white spinnerbait isn't concidered plastic?

If you remove the skirt and replace it with a tube (like seen in this issue of field & stream) I believe this would be acceptable :lol: :lol:

Speaking of tubes, Are there any tube possibilities in JDbaits future? :)

Bubba said:
BassAddict said:
Andy said:
Too bad a white spinnerbait isn't concidered plastic?

If you remove the skirt and replace it with a tube (like seen in this issue of field & stream) I believe this would be acceptable :lol: :lol:

Speaking of tubes, Are there any tube possibilities in JDbaits future? :)

I actually have something cooking for when I arrive back home and tubes will most likely come after that. Im just undecided if I should go for the 4" or 5" ones, so as Jim says stay tuned!!!

BassAddict said:
I actually have something cooking for when I arrive back home and tubes will most likely come after that. Im just undecided if I should go for the 4" or 5" ones, so as Jim says stay tuned!!!

Sweet! I'd be interested in some 3" versions.... :mrgreen:

clarker2000 said:
I agree with alot of the posts but I really am a fan of topwater for big smallies. Jitterbugs in the dark or pop-r's in the morning/evening. Man they are awesome to catch. I think a 2.5 lber fights like a 5lb largemouth.
Cant believe everyone else picked soft plastics, id go with a rico.

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that Jim asked everyone which soft plastic bait they would pick in his original question.

Since Jim asked for a soft plastic, that is what I gave him. If I had a choice of any other bait, I would still probably pick a soft plastic as the best producing bait in almost all situations, almost all times of the year, but I would absolutely much rather catch them on topwater. My preferred bait to catch smallies on is a Sammy 85 in ghost shad, or chatreuse shad. This bait dominates in the fall :D I love the multiple vicious strikes

Jim said:
If you were to pick one plastic bait and one plastic bait only to target Smallmouth, what kind of plastic would it be and what color?

Would you pick a creature type bait? Plastic worm? Stick bait? Not looking for a "brand" just a type and color.
where did he say soft...

Captain Ahab said:

YES[/quote]

I thought Jim asked about plastic baits.
quote="Jim"]If you were to pick one plastic bait and one plastic bait only to target Smallmouth, what kind of plastic would it be and what color?

Would you pick a creature type bait? Plastic worm? Stick bait? Not looking for a "brand" just a type and color.[/quote]

As I posted above - I used a Needle Worm which is very similiar to a Jacks Worm

I rig it texas style with a 2/0 EWG hook and a sliding bullet weight

Deadly

Guess im just nuts, the way i was looking at it is only one bait, so soft plastics were instantly out due to the fact that most good plastics are one and done for the most part, and I like to catch more than 1 fish if I can

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i see what you mean... one single worm not a pack... I read it as you could have an endless supply f one soft plastic bait style

Me too, and when I see plastic it automatically registers as soft plastics. Most folks refer to jerkabaits as jerkbaits, or soft plastic jerkbaits.

Regular zoom speedworm minus the tail, texposed on a 2/0 offset shank worm hook weightless to be used for slow falling and deadsticking.....has to be watermelon/red. Caught a slew of smallmouth in Canada using it three years in a row. When one end wears out, rig it in the other end...when that goes, wacky rig.

Latest posts