Threaded vs non-threaded seat bases

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on installing 3 pin mounted seats on my 16' Tracker. I've read that the non-threaded seat bases can get some play in them over time, but I don't have any experience with pin mounted seats. Anyone have experience with both the threaded and non-threaded bases? I'm a pretty big guy, 6'8" 260lbs, so I'd imagine I'd put a decent amount of torque on the bases. Would rather pay a bit more if the threaded is a bit more sturdy/reliable. Thanks!!

I like this system. The pin is threaded on the end and there is a nut welded to the bottom of the base receiver. This system is cheaper than the fatter pole set-ups, and they have served me well. I weigh 200 pounds.

One thing though, you have to clean and lubricate these on a regular basis or they will become very hard to unscrew. I use anti-seize a couple times per year and don't have any issues.

SWL-97739-T_med.jpg

BigTerp said:
Thanks. This is the type of setup I'm planning on installing. I'm just wondering if the threaded is superior to the non-threaded.

I use the unthreaded kind. Back seat I can't get the post out without a pipe wrench so there isn't play there. The front one is a different brand and is a little looser but hasn't caused a problem. Two summers of fishing 3-4 times a week. I'm a long ways away from being small too.

I'm also looking to replace the bushings in my Bases.
Attwood Swivl-EZE snap-lock 7"x7" 1.77".

MrSimon said:
I like this system. The pin is threaded on the end and there is a nut welded to the bottom of the base receiver. This system is cheaper than the fatter pole set-ups, and they have served me well. I weigh 200 pounds.

One thing though, you have to clean and lubricate these on a regular basis or they will become very hard to unscrew. I use anti-seize a couple times per year and don't have any issues.

SWL-97739-T_med.jpg

i have that set up in my boat, i cut the posts to make em a bit shorter. bout the cheapest i seen and have no complaints, very solid!

I'm in the process of redoing some of the flooring of My 1998 Creatliner 1850 Tournament Pro. I would like to keep my exsiting bases and poles if I can.

I have seen bushings to convert my to the pin style, but I can't find replacement bushings.

I'm also looking for a extra seat to match what came with my boat.( Attwood white and taupe 1998 vintage)
Any one have one??

shawnfish said:
MrSimon said:

i have that set up in my boat, i cut the posts to make em a bit shorter. bout the cheapest i seen and have no complaints, very solid!
i wish mine were a little shorter also. how did you do it, cut a chunk out and then weld the two parts back together?

acabtp said:
shawnfish said:
MrSimon said:

i wish mine were a little shorter also. how did you do it, cut a chunk out and then weld the two parts back together?

How short are you wanting? They sell several different heights. I've seen 11" on up to the casting / standing seat.

For cutting he probably removed the top bushing cut the shaft then reinstalled the bushing.

parkerdog said:
How short are you wanting? They sell several different heights. I've seen 11" on up to the casting / standing seat.

For cutting he probably removed the top bushing cut the shaft then reinstalled the bushing.
11" was the shortest I could find. I would like one that is about 7".

I've seen 6" and 9" pedestals... but not sure if they make them anymore. I found an old store that had them off in a back corner. I wish I had got them when I saw them

acabtp said:
parkerdog said:

Was looking at seats and found this. Getting closer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRINGFIELD-3620409-KINGPIN-9-in-FIXED-HEIGHT-BOAT-SEAT-POST-PEDESTAL-/190784369563?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c6ba2739b&vxp=mtr

acabtp said:
parkerdog said:

Bingo!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swivl-Eze-3-4-King-Pin-Boat-Seat-Post-6-Extension-/180496179415?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2a066920d7&vxp=mtr

With all the responses regarding pin height, which do you guys prefer most? I was thinking of going with 13" for the middle floor mounted seat and 11" on the back bench and front deck. Afraid that might be a bit to short though.

It all depends on how tall you are and what you consider to be comfortable .... but for me, I like the numbers you mentioned.

I'm only 5'9" with relatively short legs, so an 11" pedestal is definitely not too short for me. Remember that the swivel base and seat itself will add some height.

BigTerp said:
With all the responses regarding pin height, which do you guys prefer most? I was thinking of going with 13" for the middle floor mounted seat and 11" on the back bench and front deck. Afraid that might be a bit to short though.

Why would you go shorter on the bench? Your feet are going to be up on the bench as if it was the floor aren't they?

Pick a chair you find comfortable like your computer chair, measure the height of it and make your boat seat the same height. It's all personal preference. What do you think you can sit in the longest.

I'm looking to buy 2 of the threaded stainless steel bases. Anyone with a line on places with good prices ?

Latest posts