Throttle lock for Trolling

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Small Water Pro

Reaction score
Hi all
I have maybe a dumb question but here goes. We want to troll in our boat and have a 96 25 hp Evenrude. How can we keep the outboard going at say 2 mph without constantly having our hand on the throttle? Is there some kind of throttle locks or can one make one? has anyone done this? thanks for any ideas.

Small Water Pro said:
Hi all
I have maybe a dumb question but here goes. We want to troll in our boat and have a 96 25 hp Evenrude. How can we keep the outboard going at say 2 mph without constantly having our hand on the throttle? Is there some kind of throttle locks or can one make one? has anyone done this? thanks for any ideas.

SET YOUR IDLE TO GET YOUR DESIRED SPEED WHEN THE MOTORS IN GEAR, THEN YOU DONT HAVE TO TOUCH THE THROTTLE ON THE TILLER. YOU WILL FOUL PLUGS FASTER USING YOUR OB TO TROLL BUT THATS NO BIGGIE, MIX YOUR FUEL/OIL RATIO A HAIR ON THE RICH SIDE ALSO...

I troll in Lake Michigan all day with a 15hp Evinrude and haven't changed plugs in 4 years now. That might be because I'm not at idle to get a 22' boat to do 2-3mph, but it's not too far above idle. For the most part, our throttle just stays where we put it.

This worked for my15HP Mariner. If your throttle is spring loaded there is a friction bushing in the handle. You can tighten the bolt through the bushing to increase the friction on the shaft going from the handle to the motor. I tightened mine enough so it stays where I put it as by default it wants to return to idle. Trolls my 20 ft boat all day that way. I also loosing the bushing around the main shaft (steering) so that it can be controlled by the easy steer rod from the main motor

OSHA or whoever the regulating body is for marine safety probably did away with it on newer motors, but my 1975 20hp Merc has a knob on the end of the tiller that you can adjust with your fingers to increase or decrease the tension on the throttle. So locking the throttle in one position or just adding enough friction so it doesn't move on it's own is as simple as a quick twist on the adjustment knob.
The knob is the smaller diameter portion on the end of the tiller in this pic.

db896448.jpg

If your mixture is correct and the engine is warming up at idle as it should there will be Zero plug fouling. You can run for days at idle without fouling a spark plug.
To answer your question though...on the front of your throttle handle there should be a knob. Screw that knob in a little and raise the idle to the desired RPM. Simple as that. When done trolling return the idle to its previous setting for good shifting characteristics.

Pappy said:
If your mixture is correct and the engine is warming up at idle as it should there will be Zero plug fouling. You can run for days at idle without fouling a spark plug.
To answer your question though...on the front of your throttle handle there should be a knob. Screw that knob in a little and raise the idle to the desired RPM. Simple as that. When done trolling return the idle to its previous setting for good shifting characteristics.

i meant that if you troll a lot with your outboard you will foul plugs faster than normal, ive had plugs last a couple years but if i idled around all the time id change plugs every fall because they will be dirty compared to plugs in a motor that doesent idle around all the time....

Latest posts