Top 5 species of fish that you would love to catch.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very happy being able to catch what I am fishing for now although I would love to flyfish in a stream somewhere. Back when I was driving trucks cross country I would see those fishermen standing in the the streams flyfishing. It seems that would be most relaxing to stand in a stream and flyfish for a trout. I have a flyrod now and I am practicing my casting. When I get comfortable with my casting I am going to plan a trip to Idaho to get some flyfishing done.

Captain Ahab said:
Sorry Paul it is illegal to catch White Sharks [-X

Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this but I have no experience with catching sharks. How do you fish for sharks and not target the Great Whites? Is it more of a method or an area thing?

1.Marlin
2. Tarpon
3. Bonefish (fly)
4. Permit (fly)
5. Peacock Bass

Living in Oregon, I already have access to most of the other lists.=)

Sturgeon, Salmon, Steelhead, Bull Trout, LMB, SMB, Mackinaw, Halibut, etc. I'm after warmwater fish, since that's what I don't have access to on this side of the coast.

Popeye said:
Captain Ahab said:
Sorry Paul it is illegal to catch White Sharks [-X

Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this but I have no experience with catching sharks. How do you fish for sharks and not target the Great Whites? Is it more of a method or an area thing?

You cut the line

At this point, I don't have much desire to travel to catch fish, I'm fine with staying local. But yesterday morning, "Worlds Greatest Fishing Show" got my attention: Zona was fishing for Alligator Gar. Mean, prehistoric, dinosaur-looking bastards. That looked like fun.

It is not that much of concern in the areas I fish - great white sharks are very rare. In the event that you do hook one you are not suppossed to land it - thereby eliminating the "catch" part. Even bringing it on the boat for the purpose of removing the hook is considered "possession" of the fish and is prohibited.

Here is a news article from last summer where a DE Charter Boat apparently did catch and keep a great white

https://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=18563402107

As you can imagine, this raised a big stink on the local web forums - mostly becuase:

1. The captain did not even have a shark permit (everyone who shark fishes from a boat must have a fed. Migratory Species permit) and; 2. A great white and a Mako are very different looking sharks - one has a pointed nose and the other a blunt nose.

I myslef stick to Great White Whales to avoid any controversy

Popeye said:
See, and I thought there was some sort of fancy schmancy method of fishing for sharks that wouldn't attract the Great Whites.
We've been having a real ethical dilemma with the Makos for the last six months. They have showed up with force and hit anything that moves. We troll Mann's Stretch 30's $16 and Islanders at over $30 rigged. What do you do when one hits and you get him to the boat. I do not want to kill them but I do not want to loose my lures. We are losing up to 7 or 8 a trip. When we chunk for tuna, It's pretty common right now to go through 30 - 50 hooks. Tuna do not like steel leaders. Even this is getting too expensive. We use 80lb or 120lb Florocarbon and they do not give that stuff away.

Capt. my Peligic permit is another $90!

Speckreds - Is that a commercial permit for a charter business or non commercial? I think my Migratory species permit was $25.00 I know it was not $90.00. Do you have to get a coastal pelagic permit as well?

I do not know of any trick to de-hooking a crazed mako safely. Let me know if you figure it out - they are a tough fish to handle while still alive

Tarpon
Cobia
Snook -A big one
Halibut
Salmon (via fly fishing in AK)

FYI you can catch all the peacock bass you can stand in South Florida. As for the tarpon they come into the rivers here locally either once or twice a year. Tarpon fishing out of a jon boat...that just makes me smile. :lol:

1 Muskie
2 walleye
3 striper 50+ inches (been 3inches and two inches short)
4 smallmouth over a pound
5 large mouth over 10pounds

If im just going with destinations rather than fish. In no particular order
Lake Erie
Lake Falcon
Lake Guntersville
California Delta
Toledo Bend

Captain Ahab said:
Speckreds - Is that a commercial permit for a charter business or non commercial? I think my Migratory species permit was $25.00 I know it was not $90.00. Do you have to get a coastal pelagic permit as well?

I do not know of any trick to de-hooking a crazed mako safely. Let me know if you figure it out - they are a tough fish to handle while still alive

I have the $25 Migratory species permit and a Gulf of Mexico Peligic permit. Yes, it's sort of commercial. It's a permit for the boat not the fisherman. It's the same permit for recreational and commercial. I spent $90 total. The permits are in the boat so I can't check them right now. I bought 3 permits and I can't remimber what the other is for.

Ask a buddy of mine Chris what happens when you don't listen and you put a gaff in a green Mako in the 300lb range.

Ahhhh, we do not need the Gulf Permit here - yeah all the NOAA permits cover the boat - but if you are a commercial sport fisher (charter or head boat) you need a more expensive permit

my choices are like most of the others just a dream for most

I have hooked but never landed a tarpoon
halibut
Marlin
peacock bass
and a largemouth in the teens

Was watching a fishing show today, and wanted to add a 6th to my "to-catch" list.....Goliath Grouper. Those things are HUGE!! and anything that could about pull me overboard, I wanna catch! :mrgreen: :lol:

Latest posts