Tricked out Reels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DahFISH

Reaction score
Before the start of the season I was cleaning up my reels and dropped one of the bearings for my favorite baitcaster, an Abu Garcia ambassadeur. Now I was doing this in my realitivelly small kitchen, It hit the floor and was never seen again. I pulled out the frig, the stove and the dishwasher, too this day it is still bugs me that I can't find it. So I upgraded and bought a set of ceramic bearings. These things are great I had to re-learn how to cast again. I must have picked up at least 10yrds on my cast and much smoother. Now at the end of the season I busted the handle and I am looking to upgrade there as well. I was just wondering what mods you guys have done to your reels?

I have a work bench in my garage - whenever I'm working and drop something small, I never find it again. I swear the concrete floor is like quick sand.

I use a carpet square when working on items with small parts.They don't bounce and get caught in the carpet fibers.I'd rather fuss with ripping the part out of carpet,than search for a part for hours.

I put ceramic bearings in both my scorpions and did notice a difference on one but not the other. I had a Daiwa Zillion that had ceramic bearings, carbontex Drag washers, Carbon fiber handle, and a TDZ pawl. It was a very nice upgraded reel.

Thats the exact reason my abu's will never get properly cleaned. Glad to hear it turned into a positive.

take a flashlight and lay it on the floor and shine it lengthwise. The bearing or any other small object should cast a shadow and be found

ho_shi said:
take a flashlight and lay it on the floor and shine it lengthwise. The bearing or any other small object should cast a shadow and be found

Believe me I have tried everything, I ever broke out the vac and checked the bag, to the suprize of my wife. She didnt know I knew how it worked :lol:

DahFISH said:
ho_shi said:

Believe me I have tried everything, I ever broke out the vac and checked the bag, to the suprize of my wife. She didnt know I knew how it worked :lol:

Did you check the tread of your shoes? I once looked for a few hours for a tiny screw and had already given up when I heard a faint click as a walked out of the room. Took a look and there was the screw neatly wedged in the tread of my sneakers #-o

Anyway, I have upgraded the drag system on a few of my Penn SS series and on a Senator.

Other then changing handles on my Shimano spinning reels - no real (pun intended) tricks

Latest posts