Ultimate lure saver

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Big Review:

1. Rigged up a clown colored X-Rap with the 10lb lure saver. Changing out the O-Rings was not that bad, used a pair of needle nose pliers and only manged to stick the hook in my finger three times. Very little blood, but the hooks do hurt - poor fish!

2. Tied the lure onto a rod that was strung with 30lb braided line and then took the lure into the back yard. Using a fence post I snagged the rear treble into the post and pulled straight back, it took a real good pull but the Lure Saver Ring opened as promised snapping the lure back towards me (I ducked so no more blood, sorry) and leaving the treble hook, slightly bent, in the post.

3. Realized that I do not have replacement trebles, so I straightened out the old one and took the lure to the nearby stream. Found a nice calm section and checked the action, the lure ran fine, nothing different then with the stock O-Rings which is good. Did manage to snag into a few rocks on the stream bottom, the rocks flipped over before the hook pulled out.

RESULTS:

I give this product an excellant rating.

You will need to carry extra hooks and small pliers if you intend to keep
using the lure after a snag.

It took a lot of effort to get the O-Ring hook to release the hook, I could not get it to open with even the heavy salt water rod (very stiff action) until I pulled straight from the reel so I cannot see how a fish would pull the ring open.

The O-Ring opened without breaking the lure or bending anything but one hook. Since you will lose the hook, that is of no concern.

The O-Ring stayed with the lure, which is great and allows for simple re-attachment of a new hook.

This device will not save your lure if it wedges under something, but seems especially good for using trebles around wood and plants.

A+

was out on hensley the other day. i put the 8lb lure savers i got from jim on my lucky craft. i didnt catch any fish but i did get snagged up. the hook came loose but i still have my 17 dollar lucky craft. good trade i say.

Hey guys, Im gearing up for another review so I would like to put this one in the books. Try to get this review done by the end of June so we can move on to the next item. I and Xmytruck will be testing these up in Maine next week and we will report back then.

I went out yesterday with my Lure savers on a new X-rap I bought just for the occasion. I fished lake Alamo and have to say I was impressed.

Pros
The product does exactly what it says it does. I hung up twice in deep flooded timber and still have my X-rap today.
I hooked two fish and did not notice any bending or strain to the lure saver at all.

Cons
It is hard to say any at all. If you want to call a con having to replace hooks after the lure saver comes apart the go ahead. But I think it's a small price to pay for getting your six dollar crank bait back.

Overall I give it a 10 out of 10. Ill be buying these and putting them on all my cranks.
The confidence you get from knowing 99 out of 100 times your going to get your lure back is almost priceless. Because that is the reason I am most likely to pass a spot over.

justfishn and I will have our results in some time this coming weekend. Took a couple of days off next week so will have plenty of time to give them a good test.

fishnfever

this is somthing i would definatley spend money on. i cant find them around here though. i would like to buy a bunch of them and keep them in the box. i have one left on my lucky craft pointer. if i snag, i hope its on the front trebel. lol. great product and i recomend it to anyone who is tired of leaving money in underwater trees.

Well justfishn and I did ours yesterday 6-18. Did most of our testing here in back yard. I had two old crank baits that were just kicking around and thought what better to try these out on!! So I handed one to justfishing and I took the other. After a few tries and a couple of pokes in my finger * while justfishn had a good couple laughs at my expense*

after we purposely hooked the lures into trees, ground and yes even wedged one of the hooks in between to good sized rocks. They did just what they are intended to do... SAVE THE LURE!!!! Just remember to pull the line straight towards you and not to the side. After that we headed to a local pond to see what we could catch. Unfortunately we didn't get any thing. Could have been the cranks were just old, faded and chipped badly?

We both feel these are worth the money!! Especially for those expensive cranks or that one of a kind.

The only thing that was kind of a pain was installing them and reinstalling hooks. How ever that is a small price to pay to keep you favorite lures.

Fishnfever & justfishn

Thanks for the input on these I have lost several expensive crankbaits
I will look int these and hpe they do the trick.

First off, I apologize to all for the late review on this product, ive been fishing so much that I havent really been online.
Very easy to install on a lure especially if you have splitring pliers. This product does just what the purpose is meant to do which is save the lure lose a hook, pairing the lure with the lure saver with the correct line poundage will save you from losing those expensive cranks, great product for me considering im a big river fisherman and love to fish structure especially timber and logs. I have not had a real big fish on the lure paired up with the luresavers so I cannot say if a fish can cause the luresaver to release the hook. Overall I believe this to be a great product and will in the long run save me quite a bit of money if I keep putting these on my high dollar lures. Would recommend to anyone looking to save those high dollar lures from getting stolen by snags.

For me this product would have no value. I throw away all lures when the hooks become dull/damaged because it is far easier to buy a new one than change hooks on the old one.

RnRCircus said:
For me this product would have no value. I throw away all lures when the hooks become dull/damaged because it is far easier to buy a new one than change hooks on the old one.

RnRCircus,
The product is designed so you lose the hook and not the $20 lure.

Jim said:
RnRCircus said:

RnRCircus,
The product is designed so you lose the hook and not the $20 lure.

I understand that, but if it is not worth the trouble to me to replace a hook why would I install this device?

If I lose or damage a hook on a $20 or any price lure it goes in the garbage.

So if ya bust a hook on a $15 Lucky Craft lure, instead of just replacing the hook you throw the whole lure away? If thats the case just send em to me instead of trashing them...heck I'll even pay for shipping.

This is a good product for the people use the higher priced lures and could be to any crankbait user I think it is only a matter of time before they become the standard split ring..

cjensen said:
So if ya bust a hook on a $15 Lucky Craft lure, instead of just replacing the hook you throw the whole lure away? If thats the case just send em to me instead of trashing them...heck I'll even pay for shipping.

Yah im right behind cjensen here, if you need some lure recyclers me and him will surely take the job.

cjensen said:

Exactly. It is easier to throw them away and get a new one. The damaged ones get tossed in the first trash receptacle I find.

RnRCircus said:
cjensen said:

Exactly. It is easier to throw them away and get a new one. The damaged ones get tossed in the first trash receptacle I find.

Take it your pretty loaded then?? Being able to just pitch a nice $15 lure and not looking back...

Latest posts