Under deck support for a trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeA57

Reaction score
I have a 1448 Lowe Big Jon and I recently bought a hand operated Minn Kota Edge 45 lb thrust TM. I will be attaching it on the front deck on the left side almost straight off the bow or it may follow the curve of the rub rail, I haven't decided just yet.

I'm going to have to get a platform built much like the ones shown in this thread from a couple of years ago, (https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18833) but I'm also wondering about how much flex there will be when I turn it on to the faster speeds. My idea was to get a piece of metal (Aluminum or sheet metal) and make it a little larger than the mounting bracket to put up under the deck as additional support against flexing. Does this sound reasonable or would heavy fender washers accomplish the same thing? Here's an ovehead view of the boat I have (stock photo) and also a pic of my TM.

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• MK Edge TM.jpg
    MK Edge TM.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 426
  • Lowe Big Jon Overhead View.jpg
    Lowe Big Jon Overhead View.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 426
If you have easy access to the under the front deck area, then I would use the alum plate or even a thick cutting board from wally world to use as additional support/bracing to spread the load tension out more. Large fender washers would work but could eventually fail over time. Suggest you use nylock nuts so they don't come loose.

Latest posts