V-Hull versus Flat Bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhorlings

Reaction score
Hello everyone...

I have been lurking for a few weeks now and finally decided to plunge in. I am looking around for a boat in my area. I know I want to get at least a 14 footer w/ 48" at the transom but I am still confuse on whether I should get a flat bottom or a v-hull. Can someone sum up the advantages and disadvantages of each? Which one provides more stability? When I get it I plan on decking it out. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Welcome Brian,

Thanks for joining!

In General, The V is the better ride and handles better in rougher water. The Jon will behave a little better in calm water. This also depends on weight distribution, movement and water conditions.

Here is another link on the same topic. https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2031

What kind of fishing do you do mostly? Lake?, River?

Jim

Thanks for the link. I will mostly be bass fishing on lakes smaller than 5000 acres and some river fishing but not a whole lot. I also won't be heading out on Lake Michigan or anything that large in this.

Welcome aboard - good topic!

Jim summed up the basics - for a smaller boat a flat bottom or semi-V is usually easier to deal with. No boat does it all so you have to make compromises or, like so many of our members do, get one of each!

Are you able to run gas power on your lakes? If electric only is required on some, then a flat bottom will work a little. Less displacement means you can go further and fast on the electric.

I really am not aware of any lakes in my area that are restricted to electric only. I plan on put an outboard on it if the boat I find does not come with one.

A flat bottom will be more stable and draft less water but will rattle your fillings loose when the waves kick up. The V hull cuts the waves and rides much better in rough water.

I really depends on the types of water that you will be fishing.

Around my area, the flat bottoms and mod V's are the overwhelming majority of what you see by a landslide. Visitors from the north are about the only ones that you see in full on deep V hull boats.

The dealership where I bought my rig has a brand new 2006 Triton V hull that they are willing to take a beating on to get out of their inventory. The area rep talked them into ordering it by telling them it would sell like hotcakes. 2 years later, they can't give the thing away.

Ideally I'd like to get a mod-v but i think it's going to be out of price range to start with. I am one step closer though I have my inflatable pontoon boat sold!

I like my 14 ft V-Hull, back when I first got it we used to do alot of river fishing and spring turkey hunting out of it. I recently rebuilt it to use in an electric only reservoir. It is stable in calm water and great in rough water. I like a flat-bottom better for running a trapline and trotline, but other than that, the V-Hull gets the nod. Just make sure that you get one wide enough to be stable.

Good Luck

Im new to the site, as of today. So hello everyone.
My wife recently purchased me a 14 ft Aluminum V bottom boat, with a small homemade trailer with workling lights and all, and it came with a 25 Hp Mariner motor and a new gas can, for $500.00!! The guy was going thru a divorce and wanted to get rid of it. I found out after the fact, but i think it was a great deal. He told us he recently had the motor worked over at a marina here locally about 2 months ago, i called and it all checked out. Now im in the boating world. Gotta lvoe a great wife!!!

TexasRMeMan said:
Im new to the site, as of today. So hello everyone.
My wife recently purchased me a 14 ft Aluminum V bottom boat, with a small homemade trailer with workling lights and all, and it came with a 25 Hp Mariner motor and a new gas can, for $500.00!! The guy was going thru a divorce and wanted to get rid of it. I found out after the fact, but i think it was a great deal. He told us he recently had the motor worked over at a marina here locally about 2 months ago, i called and it all checked out. Now im in the boating world. Gotta lvoe a great wife!!!

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! That for sure was a steal! Post up a picture or two if you can!

Latest posts