Voyager 1670 Jon Mod - wasting my time

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imgonnamissher

Reaction score
First off, thanks to all of those who have posted their projects in the past. This may be my first post, but I have spent literally hours upon hours study many of the projects to get ideas, learn how to do things, and change my mind in trying to put this whole project together.

So, that all said, I have spent the last 8-12 months playing around with deciding what I want out of this boat and buying things along the way that I plan to use. So, my goal is to knock it out in a matter of 6-8 weeks....we'll see how well that goes. :wink: The plan is to remove original seats and live well(already done), install front and rear decks and lower deck between, 2 live wells, 3 batteries, steering console/controls, fish finders, hopefully a GPS unit, foot controlled trolling motor, and 1956 30 hp Evinrude (I have a thing for the old OMC motors). I plan to go ahead and do everything with aluminum rather than wood for the longevity and weight reasons. The seats have determined the paint colors and I plan to use steel flex under that.

Here are some pictures of where I am now: and now I realize that I should have uploaded them in reverse order....oh well, you get them reversed :roll: K. Think I figured out how to reverse them now???
DSC04486.JPG
DSC04467.JPG
DSC04468.JPG
DSC04469.JPG
DSC04474.JPG
DSC04477.JPG
DSC04481.JPG
DSC04483.JPG
DSC04520.JPG

good luck man got a nice boat to start with this is the ideal boat in my opinion i'm definately subscribed to this thread. you plan on doing any speakers and radio stuff?

I have thought about the radio idea, but wasn't sure on it. Figured if I did, I would have to build wood boxes for the speakers (with everything being aluminum) for it to sound worth a hoot. ??? Definitely open to feedback on that. I mean, if the fish aren't biting, no reason I can't just sit out on the water with some tunes on, right?!! Y'all give me some feedback on this one please and maybe you guys that know a little more about sound and such can give me some direction. Certainly don't want "a system", but a nice setup that sounds good without a lot of money is definitely a good idea to me.

I forgot to mention that this boat is manufactured a matter of an hour away from where I live, so, I have contacted the plant to try to get new rails rather than re-using the old ones. They called me back today and said that it would be no problem. They are supposed to get back to me tomorrow on pricing - which will determine whether we try to make old beat up ones look decent or bite the bullet for new. Hope the price comes in cheap!!

ya i intend on adding speakers and a radio to my boat its relatively easy you really dont need wood boxes you could also use foam liners on the aluminum. but how would the wiring have to go? do you have any idea? i want to add this to my 16'

jhodge09 said:
ya i intend on adding speakers and a radio to my boat its relatively easy you really dont need wood boxes you could also use foam liners on the aluminum. but how would the wiring have to go? do you have any idea? i want to add this to my 16'

Other than using marine wire and being in a boat, past the fuse, I would expect everything to be wired just the same as you would in a car, but I've never done it, so might want to see if there is a thread specifically about stereo systems.......or just start one. Surely someone has the answers.

Well, I'm still waiting on pricing for the parts from the factory. Just the rails are supposed to be in the area of $150 and I'm still waiting on final pricing to include the front bow plate (where the handles and bow eye are mounted). So, not sure whether I'll go that route or not. I have set aside more than enough money for this project just for things like this when they come up. The amount of work it would save in welding makes it more than worth the price is my approach at this point. Not to mention all the prep/body work it would save before painting. What are your thoughts? Should I spend the money on the parts or should I spend the extra time patching it up?

On a very positive note, I talked to a friend at work today (who happens to be a machinist), and we have decided to build the jack plate using linear bearings. We will be able to make everything right at the shop very easily, so I'll try to post some pics of the process and finished product as I am able. We were talking about the idea of using some sort of small electric motor (maybe even a window motor), but decided that it wasn't really worth it for the intended use with my boat, so it will be manually raised and lowered using a stainless 3/4" threaded rod.

Looking good =D>

An hour with a 3 pound hammer and a block of wood and then about 10 minutes worth of welding and your boat is fixed...if you can tack it back together you can save yourself a lot of headaches and money.

Looking forward to more pics as you go.

Thanks to all for your comments. Spent the weekend away with family and worked long hours the last two days. off tomorrow, so will get back to the boat. Still haven't heard from the factory, so will call them again tomorrow and then hopefully order the metal for the framing and decking. I did get the drawings finished up for the jack plate, so now it's just the waiting game for getting all the machine work done. Should turn out pretty well I hope. With any luck, I should have more updates tomorrow on progress.

Well, I didn't really do anything to the boat itself the past two days, but I did make a lot of headway in related areas. On the down side, I don't think I'll be able to put the boat in the water this year due to being broke after bying material!! :shock: I did pick up what I hope will be all the aluminum I'll need today and it almost doubled what I have in the boat so far!!! Then, after spending the last few weeks contemplating it, I broke down and bought a new TIG welder since I can't exactly bring the one from work home and I don't know anyone who has one. I have been planning on getting one for some time now, so I decided this would be my excuse. I also picked up some aircraft stripper and have found the lights I want to order (check out superbrightleds.com if you haven't - they have some pretty decent lights at fair prices). I would have power washed the boat and started on the stripping, but I had to work the garden up for planting taters, onions, radishes, and peas......got have them goodies! So, I expect things are about to the point they are going to start moving pretty quick. Oh, yeah, I also ordered my Gluvit, so now I have to get everything ready for that!! I work all weekend, so I won't get to do anything until at least Monday.

Now, I do need some help with making a color decision. These are a few of the options. Tell me what you all think:

The basis of this is that (if you look at the pictures in the first post) the seats are white and red.....so........

1. Paint boat white with black and red "acents of some sort?" and charcoal carpet

2. Paint boat white and red carpet

3. Paint boat red and charcoal carpet

4. Paint boat red and white "accents" and charcoal carpet

5. Give me your idea....

Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions.

I say paint the outer lower half red the outer upper half white and use the charcoal carpet, maybe think about the white for the inside as well. Red insde the boat would be hard on your eyes under mid day sun.

I vote for #3 or #4. I'd think white below the water line would look great until you took it out of the garage.

I agree with summers for the inside. Red is sharp, but gets bright in midday. Charcoal is easy and looks clean.

Take plenty of pics!!! Your build is really coming along. What ever became of the factory with your framing?

SlowRollin' said:
I vote for #3 or #4. I'd think white below the water line would look great until you took it out of the garage.

I agree with summers for the inside. Red is sharp, but gets bright in midday. Charcoal is easy and looks clean.

Take plenty of pics!!! Your build is really coming along. What ever became of the factory with your framing?

I think you guys are definitely right about the carpet. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, please keep them coming. I also appreciate the encouragement. As for the factory, I talked with them last Thursday and they said they were sending the info to the dealership and that the dealership would contact me (can't cut out the middle man ya know). So, I still haven't heard from the dealership. I'm gonna call back to the factory on Monday and find out what the deal is. Definitely not going to order through that dealership though - even if I have to use a middle man, I'll find a different one that wants my money!! Seeing as how I have to go pick up the parts (or pay like $200 in shipping.....for 30 miles!!!), maybe they'll get soft on me and let me buy direct from the factory. Who knows, but I'll let you know what I find out on Monday.

Keep the comments coming, I sure appreciate them. There will be more pictures next week after I take the other gunnel and the bow plate off and start stripping paint. Hopefully I'll be ready for some gluvit and then framing next weekend.

Well, I got the other gunnel off today, but had to spend time working on garden, so not much else done. However, I did get my Gluvit =D> and will be going to pick up the new gunnels and bow plate tomorrow. After that, it's back to the garden. #-o , so I don't plan to get a lot done tomorrow, but this weekend I should be able to get my welder all set up and start framing. I do hope to get the paint stripped from the outside tomorrow as well, but we'll see.

So, here is my paint idea and layout of the build. Let me know what you think. The blue are live wells, light blue is bilge pump, yellow is rod box, green is storage, black is batteries, red is gas, and grey is tm and tm foot control. Not sure on two things: Do I need a third battery, or can I get by with two(gonna have plenty of lighting and maybe a stereo at some point)?? Should I offset the rear live well (as shown in picture) to help compensate for weight inbalance from seating/console/rod box, or should I just leave it centered and remove the front starboard battery and run with two batteries - leaving the front one on the port side?? Also, the front starboard seat will be removable and double as the bow pedestal seat. I figure this gets it out of the line of sight when driving and out of the way when trying to move about in the boat.

The carpet I'm thinking will be charcoal and the writing (if you can see it, "I'm gonna miss her" in script and italics) will be outlined in black and then the apostrophe will be a fish. I thought it was pretty creative myself and every since I started singing that song to my wife when she would heckle me about going fishing with my buddies, she has said I should name the boat that after I'm done building it. So, she get's her wish as long as I can talk one of my friends that does airbruching to do it for me. Well, give me your thoughts and any suggestions you might have are welcomed and sought after. Thanks to all.

Attachments

• boat drawing.jpg
    boat drawing.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,414
Look great and I love the name.
But I think you will have to put the name on the back half.
At least here anyway. Only registration numbers or letters on the front half.

That's going to be a great build. Love the width of it!...So will you if you don't already! Looking forward to "progress pictures" and, since you are in Missouri....crossing paths with you someday.

Welcome to TinBoats. :beer:

Latest posts