What paint did YOU use? How did it hold up?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
I'm looking for as much info on boat paint as I can get. I've come to the conclusion that the 14 footer I'm buying needs an immediate paint job, and I'm not sure where to start.

I'm looking for something cheap, durable, easy, and bright red (to match my jimmy).

I plan on getting some industrial stripper from HD or Murrays and getting all the old stuff off, then cleaning it with (insert proper solution here), sanding it, cleaning it again, priming it (unless someone knows of a paint that doesn't need it), and painting it.

So my basic questions are:
What kind of paint? Cost?
What kind of primer? Cost?
Do I need a clear coat?

and ANY other painting tips would be great. My dad has a sprayer that works pretty darn good, so I was consiering auto paint, but I'm not sure how that would hold up constantly under water.

Thanks in advance!

You can use Rustoleum paint like you get at HD for a reasonable price, and in just about any color you wish... BUT, if you want to do it right the first time and last longer, I would recommend using an actual marine paint made for aluminum boats.

If you want bright red, you can't be Brightside Interlux topside paint... It's about $30 per quart, and it will take about 2 quarts to give you a good coat.

The paint that will show is only as good as the primer you use underneath - so prep work is where you need to concentrate to start off. Unless your paint is peeling all over, I would just take a wire wheel brush that you can put in a drill and go all over it knocking all the chips off. You don't need to go down to the bare aluminum. Put a few good coats of self-etching primer - and wetsand between each coat. This will take care of any runs and imperfections.

Then spray, brush or roll on atleast 3 light coats of that Brightside paint on, and wetsand with 300 grit paper between each coat. You won't need a clear coat with this type of paint - it will shine like crazy when you are done because it's a polyurethane type of paint.

Brightside Interlux
Pettit EasyPoxy .... these are the 2 brands that I would recommend using, and you'll get the longest durability out of them

oh... up there where you say (insert proper solution here..)... you want to wipe it down with a clean microfiber towel and ACETONE

You'll want to thin out your paint with a thinning solution... you can use regular auto paint spray thinner for this... it will make your paint go that much farther too.

I don't recommend using auto paint... it's not made to flex, and it will most likely crack after a while because you boat is always flexing, whether you notice it or not.

Thanks for the complete answer russ! One more question, where can I find that type of marine paint? Theres one boat store around here, but its mostly boat sales, and we have a bass pro but I've never seen that paint before.

Thanks again!

I did some research on the topside paint and its saying that it tends to blister if left in the water for more than a few days, or if left on a trailer with went carpeted bunks. Is there anything that won't do that, but still have a good finish?

I used a primer made by rustoleum for aluminum. I let it dry for a day and then I went to tractor supply and bought tractor paint( and then do have red). I painted my boat 2 yrs ago and it still looks good Hope this helps.

smokepole

it wont be in the water any longer than a day, but its stored outside (all winter too) and I dont want to have any issues with went bunks blistering the paint.

I doubt you will... I haven't had any issues with mine and it's been about 10 months now... but if thats the case go for anti-fouling paint if you're worried about it.

Remember, you aren't going to see the bottom of your boat - and unless you fish in places where there is no rock, well that's the only way you're going to keep it from getting scratched and then the blistering won't matter

I probably wont worry about it and just go with the regular stuff. I'm hoping I can find somewhere that sells it as opposed to buying it online, or find another brand that works as good.

Thanks for the input

The more research I do, the more and more I realize I can't afford to do this :shock:

I was looking into the pettit stuff, and the primer is outrageously expensive, and I'd need 2 quarts. There has to be some sort of alternative...

Latest posts