What type of bunk bracket do I need?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkuster

Reaction score
I have a shorelander trailer that came with my (used) 14' grumman boat.

It is a "wishbone" design with only one cross-member at the back, a foot or so behind the axle.

What kind of bunk bracket do I need for this setup? I'm stumped because it looks like each bunk board would only be supported at a single point. This seems like it would be weak. If my trailer had another cross-member I could have two mounting brackets per side and it would be much sturdier.

Should the bracket allow the boards to swivel?

Any help would be appreciated!

Can you post a picture? Welding in another cross member might be the way to go.

I can try to take a pic and post it tomorrow (if it doesn't rain here).

It's not a big trailer, as it's only for a 14' boat. But only having a single cross-member has me stumped on how to mount the bunk boards.

Adding a cross-member would certainly solve the problem but that's not something I can do myself...

So, does everyone's trailer have (at least) two cross members?

We definately need some pics on this one.

You say the trailer came with the boat so how was the boat sitting on it before?

I'm not sure I fully understand what your trailer looks like without a pix...but...I don't use bunk (side) boards.

I use vertical PVC posts at the stern to help position the boat and keep it from sliding off sideways.

The one time I had side bunk boards, I found the sides of my boat were getting small scratches from them. Rich

IMG_8346.JPG

I think his trailer was originally built for an inboard motored boat.
Talk to your local high school about getting the welding done.

Hi Everyone!

I finally got around to taking some pictures.

I don't have a "before" photo, but here's the "after". I solved my problem by adding a second cross-member to this basic "wishbone" trailer.

The trailer was purchased by the original owner with the boat, so the dealer sold it with only a single, rear cross-member. The bunk boards (and
therefore the boat) were not supported well, and the boards were able to swivel/rotate in the vertical plane.

I ended up purchasing a 48" length of 3"x1"x 1/8" aluminum C-channel, trimming it to fit with a jig saw and mounting it as shown below:

P1000654.jpg

The aluminum was easy to work with and the result seems to be quite sturdy. FYI - I highly recommend https://www.metalsdepot.com !

Thanks,

Dan

Latest posts