Whats these for any guesses

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdm111

Reaction score
Good day all,

Would anyone have a guess or know what these are for? Do you think it affects how low it sits in the water?
I haven't ever seen anything like this and was just wondering. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20211001_155313.jpg
    20211001_155313.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 313
  • 20211001_155323.jpg
    20211001_155323.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 313
If on the sides only I would call them splash rails. Not sure about the one across the transom. Maybe someone added with the idea of helping trim the boat. But, this is just a WAG on my part. Whatever they are for, if they were an add-on, someone did a nice job.

Thanks for the response does sound possible

Attachments

• 20211002_095433.jpg
    20211002_095433.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 287
Many years ago, I had a 16ft Ouachita tin skiff with round chines. With just me and the dog on board, it was OK, in that I didn't notice any problems. With me, dog, another person and some gear on board....big difference. In a steep turn at speed, water would climb the side of the boat almost to the gunwale and you could feel the speed drop from the drag.

Much later I had an ancient 19 ft Glastron runabout with...sort of hard....chines and strips on the rear quarters similar to the pics on OP's post. Even with hard chines, you could see water start to climb the sides - until it hit those strips, then it was deflected out. The boat cornered beautifully and was very dry. Haha....styling was archaic early 1960's, but I grew to love that old boat. It served me very, very well for 700 hours in 6 years in some very rough going at times.

FWIW 'Down East' lobsterboat hulls also use them and beside serving as 'splash rails', for those otherwise displacement hulls that will get up on plane with a big enough engine, they call them 'lifting' rails or strakes, to aid in planing.

sdm111 said:
Good day all,

Would anyone have a guess or know what these are for? Do you think it affects how low it sits in the water?
I haven't ever seen anything like this and was just wondering. Thanks in advance

Have a look at 40's and 50's ChrisCraft and Century runabouts.
These strike me as an attempt at spray rails from a "Raymond Loewy" wanna-be designer...

Odd.
That piece on the transom doesn't accomplish anything, and should be removed or trimmed if there's any motor position that could bring them into contact. Along the sides, it seems the forward ends could have been swept up to perform better at keeping things dry during sharp turns. Looks like the leading ends must be submerged when turning. Not sure whether that's helping.

Odd.
That piece on the transom doesn't accomplish anything, and should be removed or trimmed if there's any motor position that could bring them into contact. Along the sides, it seems the forward ends could have been swept up to perform better at keeping things dry during sharp turns. Looks like the leading ends must be submerged when turning. Not sure whether that's helping. The extra width overall might help getting on plane when weighted down though. More surface pushing against the water.

After talking to a local boat builder he's absolutely sure the boat is a custom made crawfishing boat and those are an aid in turning. Crawfish ponds are basically just mud so those are there to help the boat slide on top in a turn instead of a hard chine digging in.

Attachments

• p1328749768124820.jpg
    p1328749768124820.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 185

Latest posts