Wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandgeek1263

Reaction score
So, I was trying to figure out the cost of my future project (VERY near future) and was trying to find the cost of 2x2s. The only 2x2 lumber I can find is pressure treated.

When people here use "2x2s" are they using 2x4s ripped down?

Also...
I am planning on using 1/2 inch plywood. Will this be strong enough to hold up a person 5'4" 116 lbs, IF the spacing between joists is approximately 14 inches (give or take 2 inches)? I really don't want to use 3/4" plywood. Maybe I can compensate and go for the 5/8"?

I found 2x2's next to the 2x4's at my Home Depot. Till then I was going to rip 2x4's down.

As to plywood - look on page 2 for both of these...
https://www.gp.com/build/DocumentViewer.aspx?repository=bp&elementid=3805
https://www.tecotested.com/techtips/pdf/tt_plywooddesigncapacities

Just find your plywood rating, I found it usually was right up by the prices at my store. I didn't know this, but plywood has a strong way and a weak way. If you don't believe me, cut a square, prop it up on one side and step on it. Usually, the strength way is going with the outside grain. It is 3 to 4 times stronger this way. From my experience - I have 12 inch ribs and put some 1/2 inch in the back. My 225 lbs can flex the 1/2 - not a lot, but I wouldn't want to stand on it all day. To fix this in my boat, I built up the floor with the foam block. Now it doesn't noticeably flex at all. But where I put the 3/4 plywood down, it is very solid.

Not sure about 14-16 inch centers.

Gotta table saw or band saw? The 2 x 2s are generally lesser quality wood (you are making rectangular boards out of a round tree, and lumber of bigger dimensions brings better money than smaller lumber, so the only times 2 x 2s are made is when the remaining piece of wood is not large enough for any other lumber. Thus, you are often looking at the outermost layer of tree, and often at odd angles, so who knows what the grain is doing). Also, at least here in my area, 1 2x4 is cheaper than 2 2x2s.

I dont know, but the wood was not really costly, 2 bucks or less for a 2x2x8, your wood budget will be between 50 and 100 bucks, all depends on the plywood you might use, its all the other stuff that add up, stainless steel staples for instance $ 12 a box, tools, epoxy, screws that dont corrode, electrical stuff ( very pricey) its starts with the wood then keeps hitting your wallet ad nauseum! :lol: !