Wrecked the boat pretty bad.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldog

Reaction score
A buddy of mine and myself took the boat out fishing on the Big River about 2 miles up from the Meramec on Sunday. I was on the water for about 10 minutes when I came around a corner a little too hot and smashed in to some boulders. When I say smashed, I mean I went from 25ish mph to zero in about 20 feet. Ripped some nice holes in the bottom and side of the boat, dented the crap out of it and cracked my jet pump. The top of my motor cover flew off and sank as well. I hit hard enough to basically go through the console and the whole hull is twisted. The front passenger side is about 3-4" higher than the front drivers side. I smashed my shin and my hands pretty good and my buddy ended up face first on the front deck. We looked at each other pretty scared, then we laughed when we realized what had just happened and more importantly we were alright. Pretty scary and I'm glad we did not get seriously hurt. We're both a little tougher than normal and we met by punching each other in the face fighting MMA.

After we realized we were taking on water really fast I just hammered it, popped the bildge on and hoped for the best. I ended up running it aground on the ramp because we were ankle deep in water and it was coming in very fast. I let the majority drain out and got it back in the water and on the trailer. It was close to sinking and everything happened so fast.

After we got the boat on the trailer we inspected the damage and found a bunch of cracks in the hull because of the water draining out of them and thats when we realized about the pump being cracked. It is not completely cracked but probably a 8" crack at a vital spot. I'm glad we made it back to the ramp with it like it is.

As of now the insurance guy is supposed to call in the next 24-48 hours and set up a meeting to come out and see the damage. I talked to a few people and they have all told me the boat is totalled. We'll have to wait and see what the insurance guy says. I'll try to snap some pictures tomorrow of the damage.

Bummer, glad you and your buddy are both okay. From you description I would have to agree that the boat is totaled. Where you guys but in at Allenton?

Good hear you guys didn't get to banged up. I'm not looking forward to it happening to me but running a jet it's bound to happen.

I thought you retired from full contact sports :LOL2:

Glad to hear you're both ok and that you made it back to the ramp =D>

Just me, but if I was looking for some insurance money I don't think I'd talking about "coming around a corner a little too hot".

Pics of the carnage.

Attachments

• boat wreck 026.JPG
    boat wreck 026.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,561
  • boat wreck 027.JPG
    boat wreck 027.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,561
  • boat wreck 028.JPG
    boat wreck 028.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,561
  • boat wreck 029.JPG
    boat wreck 029.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,561
  • boat wreck 031.JPG
    boat wreck 031.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,561
  • boat wreck 030.JPG
    boat wreck 030.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,561
Glad you're alright.

Smash into it with the other side and it will line it all back out. :lol:

Glad to hear your ok. If a boat is damaged bad enough that it effects perfomance of the boat they normally total them. I'd say that's more then enough to total it.

That def looks like "a little too hot" LOL. Glad you guys are ok, and sorry to hear about the boat. Keep us filled in on how the insurance co treats you. Who do you have btw?

Progressive treated me right. They are sending me a check tomorrow for my full amount and I bought the boat back. I'm going to part out what I am not going to use on the next build and scrap what I can.

Anyone interested in my motor and pump let me know. Make me an offer. I'd like to sell it all together and I still have the prop lower unit for it. 1974 Mercury 150 with a 1977 powerhead with around 60 original hours on the power head. Runs like a raped ape. Pump has a small crack in it but seems to be an easy weld to fix.