12ft sea nymph treated lumber

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkstripe

Reaction score
Ok I'm new to the site from oklahoma. Just got a good deal on a 1979 12ft sea nymph. the paint was pretty bad when I got it, so I cleaned her up. Pulled the seats. Ruffed up the old paint. Primed and painted. Put the seats back. Put a treated 2x12 on top of the bench seats to mount swivel seats to. Replaced the triangle piece of wood on the trsnsom, with a couple of decking bords I had leftover from a porch I had built a couple of year's back.this is where my question comes in, after I had finished the project. I just happened onto a website that was talking about treated lumber and aluminum. So I went back pulled up the lumber and put a barrier of several pieces of tarpaper between the wood and the aluminum do you think this will help. Thanks for any help I can get.

I'd probably just replace it with sealed untreated wood, but that's just me. It will eventually find its way to aluminum, and you'll have issues.

Matt Creed said:
I'd probably just replace it with sealed untreated wood, but that's just me. It will eventually find its way to aluminum, and you'll have issues.
+1

Thanks I think I will use it like it is until summer. Just a couple of months. When it gets to hot to fish I will pull the lumber off. And replace with untreated wood. Marine lumber to expensive and to hard to come by. Any thoughts on how to treat the untreated lumber.i was thinking maybe something like Thompson water seal. Thanks for the help.

Everybody on here loves Spar to seal wood. In my duck boat though I sealed with Kilz and then a nonskid paint made for decks.

Where at in Oklahoma are you located? I live in the sooner state as well!

Hay thanks seminole county here never heard of spar. Can it be picked up at ace or lows.thanks again

The Minwax brand has "Helmsman Spar Urethane". It can be found at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. There are other brands available as well, and I believe Rustoleum makes spar urethane too.

I have read that the water sealers meant for decks has some chemicals that can react adversely with aluminum.

Use exterior grade plywood. It has waterproof glue like marine plywood but much more affordable.

Hay thanks everyone lot of good advice. One more question. My boat before this was a 9ft plastic buster boat. I put a honda 2hp 4 stroke outboard on it. The little motor pushed the boat fairly good, not going to break no speed records. But it got me where I wanted to go. How do you think it will push this 12ft semi vee. Just curious, going to try to take it out Monday if the weather holds out thanks again for all the help. If I can figur out how to post picks I would post some before and after picks any way thanks everyone.

skunkstripe said:
Hay thanks everyone lot of good advice. One more question. My boat before this was a 9ft plastic buster boat. I put a honda 2hp 4 stroke outboard on it. The little motor pushed the boat fairly good, not going to break no speed records. But it got me where I wanted to go. How do you think it will push this 12ft semi vee. Just curious, going to try to take it out Monday if the weather holds out thanks again for all the help. If I can figur out how to post picks I would post some before and after picks any way thanks everyone.

It'll push it a little faster than a large trolling motor would be my bet.

Finally figured out how to post pics. Before and after

Attachments

• IMG_20130411_102309.jpg
    IMG_20130411_102309.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 907
  • IMG_20130411_102406.jpg
    IMG_20130411_102406.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 907
I have almost that same boat but mines a 83-84 . with a 55lb trolling motor it cooks right along. with a 7.5 2 stroke it flies. :twisted: