13.5' Rich Line V-Hull Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdustinc

Reaction score
Here is what I've been handed:

1001091703-1.JPG

1001091705.jpg

1001091705b-1.JPG

(See profile for more pics.)

The 12' V-Beast. A boat barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild her. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best fly fishing v-hull jon boat. The 12' V-Beast will be that boat. Better than she was before. Better, stronger, faster.

[-o<

I leak tested it before I took a few old bolts out of the transom and the hull. It was fine then, but I'm pretty sure she leaks like a sieve now.

This brings me to my first question:

How does one who cannot weld patch a few old bolt holes in aluminum? I had thought about using stainless steel bolts with some type of gasket on them to plug the old holes. After a breif search, I am now considering some type of epoxy. Any suggestions?

cdustinc said:
I leak tested it before I took a few old bolts out of the transom and the hull. It was fine then, but I'm pretty sure she leaks like a sieve now.

This brings me to my first question:

How does one who cannot weld patch a few old bolt holes in aluminum? I had thought about using stainless steel bolts with some type of gasket on them to plug the old holes. After a breif search, I am now considering some type of epoxy. Any suggestions?

Using aluminium solid rivets (not pop/blind rivets) is the best option I think. I tried both rivets and alumi-weld (brazing stick that can be applied with mapp gass. The rivets are a piece of cake.

Alumi-weld applied, sanded and skim coated with JB Weld.
IMG00014-20090924-0651.jpg

45 minutes of work I would guess.

Aluminium rivet installed. 5 minutes work.
IMG_0626.jpg

I had two holes in the bottom of my boat. I used epoxy to plug them all summer long so that will solve the problem. Last weekend I plugged each of them with rivets. I had to drill one of them out to 1/4" to get a rivet to fit the hole properly. It was oblonged and a mess but now it is sold and sealed. Now the hole is fixed permanently.

If the holes in the transom are for electronics and are in a cluster. Then use a transducer mounting plate and give it a coating of 3M 3500 and install it. This will seal up all the holes and give you a better surface for future electronics. I have 8!!!!!!!! Sheet metal screws epoxied into the stern of my boat. They will all be coming out and I have one of these plates to install. It will cover all of them and then my transducer will mount to it.
900-902-910-912.jpg

Dan,

Thanks for the info. However, everything I've looked up regarding solid rivets says that I will need special tools to install them. Is there a less costly option? Also, would blind rivets be acceptable if they were coated with 3M 5200?

Thanks, again.

cdustinc said:
Dan,

Thanks for the info. However, everything I've looked up regarding solid rivets says that I will need special tools to install them. Is there a less costly option? Also, would blind rivets be acceptable if they were coated with 3M 5200?

Thanks, again.

I installed mine with a 3lb sledge head on the formed side and banged the other side flat with a standard ole framing hammer. All you need is something flat and heavy on one side and someone to hold it then bang it flat with a hammer. If you buy the rounded head solid rivets then you would want the special tool if you want to keep the head rounded.

OK. So, I've stripped off the old paint from the outside (not fun) and will take off the paint on the inside this week, weather permitting.

As I'm getting ready to do this, my thoughts turn to decking options. I'm planning on installing some type of flat surface in the floor of the boat. I've searched the site and still cannot make up my mind. Here are the issues:

1) Weight is an issue. I need this boat to stay as light as possible for navigating the rivers here in East Tennessee.

2) Traction is an issue, as mosy fly fishing is done standing up.

3) DO NOT want carpet. (Ever tried to find a size 20 fly in a patch of carpet? #-o )

4) I need something that can be installed by a trained monkey, as I am generally not considered 'handy' in any way, shape, or form.

I know it's been a while. Had to put the boat on the back burner, but now I'm back to the transmogrification at hand.

Got my Steelflex in yesterday. Working on her this weekend. Updates to follow...

OK. It took a little longer than I expected, but finally started making some headway. Got the boat primed with self-etching primer.

Started applying Steelflex yesterday evening. :evil: Let me just say that it is my personal opinion that it would be easier to apply molasses with a canary feather that it is to apply Steelflex to a boat. Don't get me wrong, I was impressed with the outcome. But, my God.

So, I am now over 3/4 done with the Steelflex. I would have finished last night, but the Steelflex ate all of my foam rollers. I will finish with that part tonight, and hopefully, post some pics tomorrow.

Please, God. Let me finish with the Steelflex tonight. It's not macho to cry. [-o<

When I did mine I had a helper, one rolling, one mixing and pouring. It went pretty well. Heck we even had a camera woman...the pics are in my link below.

Bufford

Sanded:

Primed:

Steelflexed + Paint:

Inside is primed. I'll work on painting it this week.

Then install new transom board, new wood on tops of the bench seats, install new hardware. I also plan on replacing the gunwales.

Also, I'd like to go fishing...

The transducer plate is a great idea. I saved some bucks and bought a white cutting board made from plastic. The cost was $2.99 a pretty good savings compared to the transducer plate.