14' V-Hull mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassSlacker08

Reaction score
Here is the scoop. I have a 1956 Lonestar 14' v-hull. I was wanting to take the middle seat out for more walking room and standing room. So the question is if I remove that seat will it affect the integrity of the hull. In other words will the sides flex more and not be as sturdy with that seat holding them straight? Also I would be putting a raised floor to level the floor. Any suggestions or help on that would be great too.

I was thinking about doing the same thing in my 14ft v-hull, but after talking to an engineering buddy, he said it would mess with the structural integrity of the boat. Unless you can figure out a way to support the sides the same way.

Seth-

See that's what i figured. I am an engineering major at the university of Tennessee. One of my buddys came up with the idea of gussets that would put a force pushing on the sides and floor. I would put a 3 4 5 triangle along the side a each rib on the inside to act as though there was a seat there. Basically a brace to keep it straight and allow some area for flex otherwise it would crack and then sink. And we don't want that.