14' Western V-bottom Modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuntOR

Reaction score
I just bought a 14' Western V-bottom boat, and thanks to all the information on this website, am now going to do a conversion. I plan on adding floors, storage, and a front flipping deck. I will post some pics of the boat real soon.

HuntOR said:
I am having trouble getting my photos to upload. Does anyone have suggestions?

Open an account at www.photobucket.com, then upload your photos there. To post them all you have to do is copy the img code and paste it into your post. You will probably still need to resize your photos so just click edit, once that pages loads click resize

P10100162.jpg

P1010019.jpg

My wife pretty much knows what to expect when I say I won't go overboard on this project. Ha Ha. Does anyone know if it is OK to use indoor/outdoor carpet or should I use a special boat carpet?

Working on the boat has been a little slow, but here is my progress. I am still working on the front deck, but it is getting closer.

P1010001-1.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010007-1.jpg

Looking good man. I used boat carpet on mine. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how often you want to redo your carpet.

Thanks, I think I am just going to use indoor/outdoor carpet. I also plan on treating the wood with fiberglass resin to improve the water resistance, since I have heard that some carpets can trap moisture.

P1000669.jpg

P1000668.jpg

Haven't posted much in a while, since I have multiple projects going, and it has been a little cold here. It is coming along, and I am getting closer to adding carpet. I decided to put the batteries under the middle seat to distribute the weight a little better.

Looks good so far...I am planning on using aluminum to frame as well but I am not sure how to connect the plywood deck to the aluminum frame. I am thinking I will have to drill a pilot hole through the frame and then screw into the wood from underneath? But I can see myself running out of room when I am placing the floor on the frame in the bottom of the boat. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

atuck593 said:
Looks good so far...I am planning on using aluminum to frame as well but I am not sure how to connect the plywood deck to the aluminum frame. I am thinking I will have to drill a pilot hole through the frame and then screw into the wood from underneath? But I can see myself running out of room when I am placing the floor on the frame in the bottom of the boat. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

I was just planning screwing the wood to the aluminum from both the top and bottom. I don't think the screws will be very noticeable from the top.

I was just planning screwing the wood to the aluminum from both the top and bottom. I don't think the screws will be very noticeable from the top.

I would think if you use a countersink on the hole you drill into the decking would make the screw fit more flush depending on what type of screw you use. Plus after you put carpet over it you'll never see the screw head popped up through the carpet.

Huntor, take it from a retired ironworker ,your metal working skills are top shelf journeyman quality.That's some beautifully crafted,strong and well thought out work!! =D> =D> =D>

ray55classic said:
Huntor, take it from a retired ironworker ,your metal working skills are top shelf journeyman quality.That's some beautifully crafted,strong and well thought out work!! =D> =D> =D>

Thanks. I seem to have too many projects right now so this one keeps getting delayed. Just as long as it is ready for the summer.

Does anyone have advise on electrolysis? I know the types of metal you use in your boat can cause it, but if I use some zinc plated screws on some parts of the boat will it cause problems?

Latest posts