1436 front deck framing - - - - - - - - - - NEW PICS PAGE 2!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bassblaster is correct...spar urethane or spar varnish (same thing, companies use different names) for exterior applications. Rustoleum now has a spar varnish which is water based, no order and easy cleanup. I used them. Good result.

i've noticed everyone here seems to use spar urethane, now i know why, thanks for the info y'all

i think my poly job should last a pretty good while since the wood won't see sunlight under my deck. i definitely opted for diamond plate floor on the gunbox since it must hold up to standing water & impacts. i'm fairly confident in using this oil based "for floors" poly for waterproofing wood. i've had it on my pine kitchen counter top for 2 years & it still looks great. this is despite having water sitting on it often around the sink, there's no signs of water damage. my bar is also poly'd the same & showing no drink rings despite the infrequent use of coasters coupled with a high rate of sweaty beverages sitting on it :mrgreen:

i cut out the 1st of my 3 hatches in the deck last night. i took it nice & slow since the plug from my cutout will be the hatch door for the gun box. it was too dark to get good pictures by the time i finished cutting. I will put up some better ones tonight or tomorrow showing the progress to date, but here's the hatch laid out before i cut it:

imageoke.jpg

imageezyz.jpg

i mounted the gunbox hatch piano hinge, and test fit my cutout. it needs some relief on the back side to allow the door to open more fully. i'll work on that tonight. it's going to be great though having a deck with nothing to trip over + tons of dry-ish storage!

the top side of the decking will all be black bedliner, then when the gunbox is opened it will be wood & shiny diamond plate (hopefully the ducks think it's purty):

imagefhn.jpg

imagenban.jpg

imagerkyb.jpg

imagelna.jpg

imageldbk.jpg

imageowgq.jpg

imagejzg.jpg

imagebdfr.jpg

scored a nice trailer for $450 off craigslist & sold my old one for $200 on craigslist, so i have $250 in this pretty much new 2010 galvanized trailer. i'm pretty happy because it would've cost me about $250 to fix the old trailer up myself as it needed lights, winch, jack, tires, axle, hubs, & leaf springs. so, basically, i got out of doing all that labor:

jonnytrailer.jpg

the trailer is a tad short. i've moved the winch as far forward as i'm comfortable, i don't want it any closer or the corners of the hull will be able to hit my tailgate on real sharp turns, they'd hit it now if i jackknifed but not planning on doin that lol. currently, i can turn 90 degrees with about a foot from tailgate to front corner of hull which is plenty for maneuvering in parking lots. ideally, i will extend the tongue 1-2' or add a folding tongue. i'll probably just rock it as-is though. i'm just glad to have a nice dependable trailer, Lord knows i don't want my hard work to wind up sliding down the road

installed the 1st two of my 3 hatch doors in the front deck. i still have to install the locking latch on the gunbox hatch as well as the slam latch & the handle for the battery hatch. the attwood battery box i got is really cool, it has a button to show how much charge is left in your battery, plus it has two 12v cig lighter plugs so i can charge my phone or whatever. here's the only 2 pictures i took (sorry, i'll take more soon):

imagejyn.jpg

imageqcr.jpg

as you can see i was liberal w/ the 5200 since it's all getting covered w/ truck bed liner

Latest posts