1968 Starcraft V-Hull Makeover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HookedUp443

Reaction score
Hey Guys
I am new to the site but alot of great ideas and info here.
I bought a 1968 14' Starcraft V-Hull w/ a 1982 Evinrude 7.5 hp motor. on a trailer.
Motor runs good and trailer in good shape.

I would like to paint the boat's interior and exterior. Also, I plan to modify the inside much like was done here. >>> https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17144

Although I am pretty good at carpentry work & capable of the drilling, wiring, sanding, painting etc. that is involved, I am creating this thread to post pics and hopefully have somewhere to turn if/when I run into issues along the way.
I am also posting for your enjoyment as Im sure some of my questions will be quite entertaining for some peeps :lol: with more experience than myself. :oops:

Here are the current pics as of now and as I purchased it.

I would think my 1st step would be to remove the center bench and get the whole thing sanded and painted. ANY advice is appreciated.

boat1.jpg
boat6.jpg
boat4.jpg

Nice boat....I have a 71' myself. This is an awesome site for any question you may have or to see pics of what you would like to do. a word of caution though if you plan to take the seats out make sure to find a way and support the sides in place of the seats. Welcome to the site and I look forward to seeing what you do with your Starcraft.

Thanks for that advice. I was concerned with that issue. However, nothing is immediately coming to mind as to how to do that with the least amount of "obstruction" into the open space I want to create. I will be hunting around the site for examples/pics of what others have done. Feel free to point me in the right direction if anyone remembers where there may be a good example.

Look under the Link For Boat Modifications. There's a whole section, about half-way down the page, about whether or not to remove benches. I won't swear to it, but I think its called, "Boat Benches - What Should I Do?" I don't think it has been updated in a while, but its a good place to start.

Welcome aboard HU,

Step one would be a leak test if you haven't done it yet.

Just an update on my progress. Been kinda busy and weather has been an issue but hoping good progress is coming soon.

Attachments

• boat6.jpg
    boat6.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 3,620
  • boat7.jpg
    boat7.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 3,620
  • boat8.jpg
    boat8.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 3,620
Oh yeah...the leak test :oops: I will do that tommorow 1st. I plan to put water in the boat and inspect outside for leaks.
Hopefully there isn't any as the previous owner promised.

Well, it failed the leak test :evil: Definately has 1 leak. Not sure where to go from here.
I guess order some of the Gluvit stuff. There is a Marine store not to far from here, maybe they sell it.
Will it work if I try to seal it only from the inside? Or do I have to do something outside the hull as well?

Attachments

• boat8b.jpg
    boat8b.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 3,554
OK, after doing some further research on the site. It sounds like I am better off trying to get the leaky area welded.
So, looks like I will clean up the area as best as possible with wire wheel etc. and bring to someone who can weld it for me. Is this my best option? Please someone just verify this for me.

I would say it depends upon how bad the leak is. I had a small leak on my boat near the back and I just applied Gluvit to the seams last weekend. I bought a can off of Ebay for $40. It was really easy to apply with the consistency of glue. You just sand or wire wheel the area near the leak to bare aluminum and apply. A quart was more than enough to cover all or the seams and rivets as well as completely cover the leaky area. I would think that welding is a better option if you know exactley where the leak is but I am not sure what a shop would charge to weld the aluminum. I also know that I will be covered if any other areas decided to leak at some point in the future by applying the Gluvit product.

Since my boat seems to have more of a "crack" than just a "leak" i ordered some of this stuff here to try.

They say it is more waterproof than regular JB so we will see.

https://jbweld.net/products/marine.php

Anyone else ever used it for this purpose??? I will let you know how it works out for me.

Attachments

• marineweld_lrg.jpg
    marineweld_lrg.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 3,491
My friend has a 16' vhull boat and the seams broke on each side of the boat. We used JB weld that was the stick and it worked pretty well. Though the boat hasn't hit the water it now doesn't leak rain water that floods it.

:!: :!: :!: I FOUND THE LEAK :!: :!: :!:

I wasnt even gonna post this cuz it's pretty embarrasing :oops: that I didn't notice when I bought it.
Thank God the trailer and motor are pretty much worth what I payed for the whole setup.
I guess a red flag shoulda went up when the seller was so willing to take $300 less than his asking price.

I am confident that I can fix it though....

The JB Weld Marine should be here in a few days. I got a great deal on it & thank God cuzz it looks like i'm gonna need a lot!!!

But yeah, I saw it in store today for $6.50 per kit. I found deal on Amazon was 10 kits for about 23$ with the shipping.

Tomorrow I plan to flip the whole thing over and rough up the bottom as well as remove any loose paint.

Attachments

• BoatLeak1.jpg
    BoatLeak1.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 3,405
  • BoatLeak2.jpg
    BoatLeak2.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 3,405
  • BoatLeak3.jpg
    BoatLeak3.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 3,405
Wow, that is quite the hole. I almost wonder if you should just have a new piece of aluminum welded in. That part of the boat can take a real beating in waves.

i need more opinions...can i fix this myself or do i need it welded? please guys ...any input is appreciated.

this is a big decision.

Yeah I would have that welded. It's better to be safe than sorry with that one. I pictured a leaky rivet or something not a hole like the Titanic. Besides I dont think any brush on sealer product will be able to fix that.

Agree on having it welded in, If you CANT for some reason I wonder if you could take a chunk of alum angle and bent it to fit the bad spot and then rough the heck out of both surfaces and JB weld that in. JB is good stuff BUT thats a perty big hole.

My S-18 had wear on the outside runner only and just had them weld it up when it was in the shop. Weld = no worries