1998 15hp Evinrude... Few silly questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
First off, great site! I am glad I found it and hopefully will be able to contribute.

I just picked up my first aluminum hull, a 16ft Lowe Sea Nymph V with a 1998 Evinrude tiller engine with out electric start. I am pumped on the simplicity of the engnie compared to my last engine, a 225 EFI, but can't figure out some of the obvious...
1st: How do you shut the engine down? I'm just pulling the safty/kill switch now or backing all the way down on the throttle and the engine boggs down..
2nd: Whats the "mini" tiller at that is ath the end of the tiller arm that goes into it? Is it to adjust RPM's/Rev? It screws in and out and havent playrd with it much.
3rd: Before water comes out the tell tale, is there a time frame until the thermostate opens? I have let it run a few minutes with out any water coming out, but seems some exhaust or air preasure is puming out? Yes, its the tell tale not the exhaust...
$th, and final for now... Will this engine have issues putting a 16ft semiV on plane? I see some guys on here with upto 40hp so I am sceptical...

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

On your first question, my Evinrude doesn't have a kill switch for some reason. I just pull the choke to kill it.

On question 4 I think 15hp mugh be a little underpowered for a 16 foot boat, but you should be able to get it up on plane. Depends how much weigh you have in the boat I guess. I get 22mph on my 15 ft Jon with 18hp.

you kill the engine by pushing in on the red "button" that the kill switch hooks under. no need to remove the tether.

You may want to replace the impeller the water should start pumping out the tattler almost immediatly.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I am replacing the impeller, or actually entire water pump today. I drop the lower unit and the impeller looked OK, but hopefully replacing the entire pump will work..

Sean here is a link with loads of information about your motor.

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC%20info.htm

Cajun, thank you! that site is great!
CHanged out the water pump and everything seems to be operating as it should! Hope to get out this weekend and chase some bontio and dig some litle knecks!
Thanks again!

Question 1 has been answered
Question 2: The small control is for idle RPM
Question 3: No set time frame and the thermostat does not have to open for the telltale to operate. It begins to function as soon as the block fills with water. Blow it out with compressed air and that should do the trick.
5th - (what happened to 4th?) You will be surprised at how well the engine will perform on your 16 footer! It will put a smile on your face. The 15's with through-hub exhaust are usually faster than the old style 18hp engines.

Latest posts