20' Lowe Olympic Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olbrazosDon said:
That is one awesome boat, Jerry, thanks for sending me a PM on having new pictures of the mod. When you get a chance if you will take some pics of it zipping accross the water.
What type of VHF radios do you have? Marine or amateur, ect?
You were asking earlier about how it floats and is it tender. I'm relieved that it does float and I'll be careful walking around!
Been looking at marine VHF radios, nothing fancy but one criteria is current draw . Some of the
big name units have very big appetites on stand by and receive (1.5A).
A Cobra F80B and a few Uniden units use only .2A on stby and .3A on receive.
So far, nothing has turned up on Craigs List...thanks for looking. Jerry :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COBRA-MR-F80B-D-VHF-CLASS-D-25-WATT-MOBILE-MARINE-BOAT-RADIO-BLACK-/280781824774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415fe6a306

Check this one out, Jerry.
Do you have to have a radio lisence on marine frequences?
I am an amateur radio nut myself.

olbrazosDon said:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/COBRA-MR-F80B-D-VHF-CLASS-D-25-WATT-MOBILE-MARINE-BOAT-RADIO-BLACK-/280781824774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415fe6a306
Check this one out, Jerry.
Do you have to have a radio lisence on marine frequences? I am an amateur radio nut myself.
Yep, that's the one, no license is required. I suspect that if the FCC ever got around to requiring just registration
that sales would dry up. The new ones are very sophisticated. Got caught up in the CB craze years ago and worked
SSB dx for a while then went to amatuer radio before loosing interest......better get back to boating before the
Thread Police catches me. Happy Boating :)

Added 2 batteries (24v total), charger and a switch for the trolling motor this weekend.
Port side battery
DSC00232.jpg

Stbd side battery, big red switch
DSC002342.jpg

ProSport 12 distributed charger
DSC00231.jpg

moment of truth....it works! :)
DSC002352.jpg

Happy Boating...Jerry

fool4fish1226 said:
As usual very clean and professional work. Get any fishing in yet?
Thanks F4F, the weather here has been the absolute pits! Either rain or windy or both.
We might get some relief tomorrow. Friday is our monthly fishing club tournament, so I have my fingers crossed.
How about the fishing down south? :)

Rain and wind since Friday but still made it out Friday and Sunday for a few hours. It's been hard fishing with wind/rain and currents going in opposite directions, did manage to catch a few nice jacks but nothing I was really hunting for.

Hopefully Friday turns out good for you. Good luck with the tourney!!!!

Happy Holidays to everyone and be safe!
I ordered some boat decals for the 'Zilla from our very own Bulldog at Vinyl Images and I'm very happy with the results.
I wanted silver Diamond Plate letters with a 1/8" red border but to get that, you have to stick the D.P. letter on the larger RED
decal. Boy was that fun. Fortunately, John & Company provide the customer with extra decals to practice with. Many thanks for that John. Here is a smaller version of the large decals.

DSC002382.jpg

Then it was on to the larger ones
DSC002362.jpg

then the trick was to put the whole thing on the boat. Kathy and I laid an extension ladder
between the main lift supports to sit on while we were working. A couple pieces of plywood
on the ladder to sit made it easier to work on.
DSC002432.jpg

Closeup
DSC00245.jpg

Other side of the Bus
DSC002422.jpg

Tomorrow, it's on to the Tin Boat decals! Whoooo! Hoooo!....Jerry :)

Glad you are happy with everything. It is tough with the double lays using the diamond plate. Some times you can just print the outline on but that particular product does not have that ability. I just noticed that the clear mask should have been on the diamond plate and the paper mask should have been on the red. I guess I had a brain fart when producing those. I bet you had fun with that. My appolgies. If they did not turn out exactly like you wanted, let me know and i'll send you some more. That is my mistake.

Well, Well I guess with your attention to detail I shouldn't have expected anything less. Nice touch! Good selection of colors too!

I was beginning to think a GONE FISHING......... to be continued when the fish quit biting post was necessary for this thread.

You also made a comment about catching some jacks but that wasn't what you were after? Do you mind telling what you were after? I thought jacks were a sought after species?

whistler said:
Well, Well I guess with your attention to detail I shouldn't have expected anything less. Nice touch! Good selection of colors too! I was beginning to think a GONE FISHING......... to be continued when the fish quit biting post was necessary for this thread. You also made a comment about catching some jacks but that wasn't what you were after? Do you mind telling what you were after? I thought jacks were a sought after species?
Hey Whistler, Wasn't me, I love catching Jacks. Those things are like a torpedo on turbo boost. Amber Jacks are esp. good.
The winter winds have had most of us fishing inshore, on the flats, or at the dock. :) I've got to learn canal fishing since
the canals are warmer and more productive in the winter.
Santa came early, and dropped off a Cobra VHF radio, so I'll be installing that next. Thanks for the comments....Jerry :)

Jonboat Jerry said:
whistler said:
You also made a comment about catching some jacks but that wasn't what you were after? Do you mind telling what you were after? I thought jacks were a sought after species?

Hey Whistler, Wasn't me, I love catching Jacks. Those things are like a torpedo on turbo boost. Amber Jacks are esp. good.
The winter winds have had most of us fishing inshore, on the flats, or at the dock. :) I've got to learn canal fishing since
the canals are warmer and more productive in the winter.
Santa came early, and dropped off a Cobra VHF radio, so I'll be installing that next. Thanks for the comments....Jerry :)

Sorry, I took a look back and got a couple post mixed up. :?

olbrazosDon said:
Did you get that radio off ebay? It looked like a good deal to me. Merry Christmas, Jerry, and to all on TinBoats. And Happy New Year.
I did get the radio Don, but it came from https://www.TheNerds.net. I tried several places, but either they couldn't deliver
before Christmas, were priced a lot higher, or they were out of stock. You whould have thought I was looking for a pair
of Air Jordan's! :wink:
A big Merry Christmas back to you too!
Jerry :)