20' Lowe Olympic Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JonBoatfever said:
Dont know if it said it anywere, but do you have a Fish Finder?, If so, what kind?
Hey JBF, I got very lucky and scored a Humminbird 798ci Di Combo on Craigs list for $500 with 'ducer.
Very complicated piece of gear and I'm still learning how to use it correctly.
It has a 5" screen and these old eyes are already looking for one with a bigger ($$$) screen. :)
I just learned that the 800, 900, 1100 series have a video out on the back......Hmmmmm LCD time.
There are a bunch of sites on Side Imaging that are really good at explaining it all. What are you using?

whistler said:
Video out jack on the back would allow you to use ????? guessing a computer monitor???
That's what I'm thinking, here is Humminbird's description of the cable.
https://store.humminbird.com/products/322955?product_id=f72d083a2c6af4d2d5692042a102b74f
The screen resolution stays the same (same number of PIXELS), just a bigger screen. [-o<

Jonboat Jerry said:
JonBoatfever said:
Dont know if it said it anywere, but do you have a Fish Finder?, If so, what kind?
Hey JBF, I got very lucky and scored a Humminbird 798ci Di Combo on Craigs list for $500 with 'ducer.
Very complicated piece of gear and I'm still learning how to use it correctly.
It has a 5" screen and these old eyes are already looking for one with a bigger ($$$) screen. :)
I just learned that the 800, 900, 1100 series have a video out on the back......Hmmmmm LCD time.
There are a bunch of sites on Side Imaging that are really good at explaining it all. What are you using?

Ive just got an old humminbird 100sx that my uncle gave me. Might upgrade at some point

JonBoatfever said:
Ive just got an old humminbird 100sx that my uncle gave me. Might upgrade at some point

I've got an old Hummer also and I downloaded a manual for it.......read all about it. I thought I understood it. Watched the Demo mode go on and on for the longest time. First time out I got pic and screens that the book doesn't even have anything that resembles them. I know if I upgrade ........and I do want a DI unit, this problem will compound itself as everything is more complicated on those units. I think the dirty (colored) water we have in our rivers has some effect on the sonar return back to the transducer. Not like that nice clear bath water some of you guy have. :wink: Also I've heard people say aluminum boats have a negative effect them also?

JonBoatfever said:
Don't sell that SX short, there is an advantage to learning a simple setup and upgrading if and when the time comes.
It has taken me hours of watching demos, reading the manual, and many trips out, to get comfortable with mine. :?

whistler said:
I've got an old Hummer also and I downloaded a manual for it.......read all about it. I thought I understood it. Watched the Demo mode go on and on for the longest time. First time out I got pic and screens that the book doesn't even have anything that resembles them. I know if I upgrade ........and I do want a DI unit, this problem will compound itself as everything is more complicated on those units. I think the dirty (colored) water we have in our rivers has some effect on the sonar return back to the transducer. Not like that nice clear bath water some of you guy have. :wink: Also I've heard people say aluminum boats have a negative effect them also?
What model 'bird do you have?
There are four settings that you need to check, Sonar Sensitivity, Surface Clutter, Fresh or Saltwater, and Noise Filter. These all have an effect on what you will see. I haven't seen any adverse effect of the metal hull on the FF, works great. :)
We probably should start a thread in Electrical on this.

Yikes, I'm long overdue for an update on the 'Zilla so here's the latest.
Got my decals on finally. Been watching Craig's list for a boat seat
and found a really nice one almost new and it was local.
A big thanks to Paul in New Port Richey.
Here are the pix.
Best website ever, thanks Jim.
DSC00443.jpg

Seat has a fixed height but does have a slide and swivels.
DSC00442.jpg

DSC00445.jpg

DSC00446.jpg

Been fishing several times but have come up empty. As soon as I find them, I'll
post them.....Jerry :)

Jonboat Jerry said:
JonBoatfever said:
Don't sell that SX short, there is an advantage to learning a simple setup and upgrading if and when the time comes.
It has taken me hours of watching demos, reading the manual, and many trips out, to get comfortable with mine. :?

whistler said:
What model 'bird do you have?
There are four settings that you need to check, Sonar Sensitivity, Surface Clutter, Fresh or Saltwater, and Noise Filter. These all have an effect on what you will see. I haven't seen any adverse effect of the metal hull on the FF, works great. :)
We probably should start a thread in Electrical on this.

You're right on starting a thread in the Electrical. Sorry for the OT stuff. I'll probably wait till it warms up, maybe I can duplicate and photo some of the screens I'm getting then post them. Plenty of people that I'm sure can help. Thanks

Jerry, Did you sneak that hour meter in an not tell us about it??? I'm kind of watching to see what all you decide on with it (type, mounting location, wiring etc). I might have a few questions? I'm not trying to rush you, just didn't know if you have skipped a step on us. :wink:

Hey Whistler nice catch. To date I have not included an hour meter. I should, and thank you for bringing it to my attention.
IMWORKINONIT :)

Jerry

Just went through your entire thread, again, and never ceases to amaze me with all the thought, love and care you did to 'zilla'. Your mod is wonderful now just take the time to enjoy while yelling loudly 'FISH-ON'.

Thanx for all your assistance - I certainly need it. Gonna get started on mine soon.

later

rrawhide

RRawhide, Brine, thanks for looking and the comments. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. She will plane at 3000RPM and fishes as good as she looks. I have to pass credit back to our members who gave me a lot of ideas and inspiration. I don't know of any other website that provides as much info as this one for us "Tin Boaters". A big thanks to Jim and crew! :) Keep Hacking....Jerry

rrawhide here you go :)

Free HIN Check Results

HIN: LWN36311K788

Model Year: 1988

Certification Year: 1987 (November)

Manufacturer: LOWE INDUSTRIES

Manufacturer City/State: LEBANON MO

Hi RRawhide, F4F is correct with the breakdown of your HIN.
Over the years, there have been 3 attempts to Standardize the HIN, so one has to know the year of manufacture
to know which scheme was in use at that time. From Mid 1970 to Dec. 1984, this was the scheme in use. #-o
Since mine is a '78, LWNXXXXXM78G
LWN=Lowes Industries
XXXXX=Serial Number
M=a Spacer Letter used before the date (this may be the location of Mfr.)
78=1978
G=March
From your pics, they didn't change much in those 10 Years. :)
Keep Hacking....Jerry

elcapitanmas said:
one of the most INCREDIBLE builds I've ever seen, great job and enjoy it!
Hey ElCapitanmas, welcome to tinboats.net and thanks for the comment. The 'Zilla fishes pretty good on the flats
and I am happy with the results. I still can't put fish in the boat, (they are better at eatin' than I am at catchin')!
Where are you located?
Jerry

Well now you finally show up on here again! Ya had us all worried, I guess were like an old hen watching over her brood :wink: .....and now that you got the project all complete you're too busy fishing and eating fish to post??? I got an idea for ya so you don't cause us to worry our self sick. Get you one of those GPS that allows us to track where you're at on any given day you and AlumaZilla are out fishing. Start you a site where we can log in and watch Jonboat Jerry and AlumaZilla as they go about their daily expedition? Might not want to tell the wife about the site though! Just in case those all day fishing trips include a stop at a favorite watering hole! :oops:

Latest posts