76 evinrude 85 horse won't do anything

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looked at your photo. Is that other terminal on the solenoid blank?
Should be a ground wire on that one if the solenoid is the correct solenoid for the engine.
Actually, in looking at it that looks like an automotive part. The original was held on with a strap with a piece of rubber under it and a screw at each end of the strap.
Billy Bob and Bubba have been busy on your engine!

yes there is a blank one there is the small one next to the battery lead. I'm guessing that's my problem

or its aftermarket. will it work or do I need another one could I connect the ground to that and be good

I'm horrible with electronics so bear with me how do I test this I may be able to borrow an ohm meter from a friend

Pappy said:
Just looked at your photo. Is that other terminal on the solenoid blank?
Should be a ground wire on that one if the solenoid is the correct solenoid for the engine.

Pappy, I noticed the same thing this morning. Also, it looks like one of the heavy gauge wires is missing too. It looks like the wire from the battery to the input side of the solenoid is missing. The two smaller wires that are there go to the controls and the breakout block for charging. If the pos from the battery isn't there, the controls aren't getting power, and can't activate the solenoid.

So two things need to be done
1) hook up a small (14-16 ga) wire from the small terminal to ground
2) hook a heavy (4-6 ga) wire from the battery to the input side of the solenoid (same post as the two small red wires).

take a look at the pics from a solenoid on one of the motors I'm working on (battery cable isn't hooked in)

Yellow and black wires to small posts; Battery wire missing
20150728_071718.jpg

Black wire to ground
20150728_071734.jpg

Here's a schematic of what the wiring should look like:
2012-03-31_224718_outbrd_strt_cir.jpg

ok I was under the influence that the solenoid had power from the battery through the big red plug

It actually goes the other way. The big red plug gets its battery power from the little wires on the solenoid touching the battery cable. So the power to drive the solenoid goes:

Battery > Large Solenoid terminal > Small Red Wire > Red Plug > Key switch > back to Red Plug > Small Yellow Wire > Solenoid > Black Wire > Ground.

Convoluted, but it works :)

Ground location doesn't really matter as long as it is a solid connection. If possible, tie it in to the same screw as another ground (the ground for the coils is a good spot.)

Good luck!

seriously you guys rock I would have been so flustered with this thanks everyone I'll let you know how it goes

Don't know which I am. Billy bob, or Bubba. LOL. Great catch on the missing cable. After I blew it up as big as I could, sssss I did get bit by that snake. First time trying to help someone this way. What takes 15 mins to do in person taking this long is hard. You wish you could just drive over and help. I would double check the ground cable. Seein as me or Bubba left those 2off don't be surprised!!! LOL. Working behind some else's work can be trying. Good luck. And you guys keep up the good work!!!!

well when I bought the boat it didn't have a battery and the motor was just put back on cuz he was gonna keep it so I suspect in the mounting and dismounting of that outboard some things were removed and never put back so not surprised there. it is set up for 2 batteries as well so I got a lot of wiring to figure out as far as pumps and lights

ok here's an up date I got the motor to turn over I ran the positive to the solenoid like you guys said and the negative to the block and there was a ground wire dangling I didn't see so I connected that to the solenoid ad well and it fired right up. then I took the motor off and put it on a stand and started disassembling the carbs and pulled the plugs. the plugs were pretty dark and wet but that doesn't mean much since it sat for a while and the carbs that were supposedly 're done were pretty bad one bowl filled with separated oil and the other with water most likely condensation. the inside of the engine looks good and clean from what I see. gonna clean the carbs tomorrow and 're assemble with new plugs and see how it sparks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438220493131.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438220493131.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 491
one other thing I noticed on the opposite side of the choke lever there is a wire that was dangling it connects to the choke but I'm not sure what it's supposed to connect to View attachment 1

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438220593906.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438220593906.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 491
  • uploadfromtaptalk1438220653690.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438220653690.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 491
If your looking at the wire At the top of choke solenoid a bolt thur it to mounting bolt that isn't there. That is the ground for the electric choke. Looks like purple on one side and ground on the other. When cleaning the carbs try to run something thru all the holes and passages. Sound like your well on your way