76 evinrude 85 horse won't do anything

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I pulled the whole intake off at the manifold. I'm going to slowly start pulling this apart and labeling the parts so putting it back together is a breeze. I can't really do much more at this time since I don't have a flywheel puller. as soon as I get one I'll pull the flywheel and armature bracket. I think I'll leave the crank and crank case in and remove the cylinders to get machined then disconnect the pistons at the wristpins looks doable. this is new ground for me so correct me if I am wrong. and again I am going to order a service manual but I'm just doing the easy stuff for now. any input is appreciated

I have a climate controlled garage it stays in I think I may do some convincing of the wife for some money here well see lol

going to pull off the cylinders and try to home the pits and scratches out at my work if that works I'm going to buy 2 pistons for the one side and for the side where both were reading 70 psi I'm go I'm just going to replace the rings. I do have a question though. an I run one side bored over and one side stock bore on the engine not sure how that will affect how it runs

well I work at a machine shop we build hydraulic units so I think we may have a cylinder hone in the shop and I work with a guy that's a 2 stroke guru so I'll have him look at the cylinders and see if he can hone it smooth and keep it stock bore that would be cheapest and easiest to do

verified we have the tools and knowledge at my work to hone the cylinders so I started to take apart a little more. found a destroyed head gasket and the cylinder walls were surprisingly smooth probably not going to need bored over should be salvageable View attachment 1View attachment 2 waiting on my manual to come before I got any farther. I marked all the head bolts so they go back in the same spot too.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438734791090.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438734791090.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 613
  • uploadfromtaptalk1438734812882.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438734812882.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 613
  • uploadfromtaptalk1438734835352.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438734835352.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 613
ok who know what years will fit this motor as far as pistons go. I found one from a 73 supposed to be a 3.375 bore but I want to be positive