Aproximate year of motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Redmond

Reaction score
:?: Hi,I am a newbie on this site.Dont own a tin boat yet ,but it is in the plans.I have been building my own wooden (plywood) john boats for a while now,but I am getting older ...and looking forward to buying something that is less demanding maintenance wise...My question today is about a motor I have seen for sale on the net (kijiji edmonton can.)There is a 15 hp 2 cycle jonhson for sale, and the seller claims its an 1984; but the color of the motor is sort of grayish, not black more of in between the two (black/grey) I know its a hard one to guess...but the newer ones are white and my buddy got an 81 and its white also?? so I am kinda stumped about the years. Thanks for any info.PS (I have been snooping on this site for a while, and I quite enjoy it.) Mike

HI,the motor is on a ebay style of posting board,it can be accessed through google Kijiji edmonton it is presently on page no 2....Mike

Mike Redmond said:
:?: Hi,I am a newbie on this site.Dont own a tin boat yet ,but it is in the plans.I have been building my own wooden (plywood) john boats for a while now,but I am getting older ...and looking forward to buying something that is less demanding maintenance wise...My question today is about a motor I have seen for sale on the net (kijiji edmonton can.)There is a 15 hp 2 cycle jonhson for sale, and the seller claims its an 1984; but the color of the motor is sort of grayish, not black more of in between the two (black/grey) I know its a hard one to guess...but the newer ones are white and my buddy got an 81 and its white also?? so I am kinda stumped about the years. Thanks for any info.PS (I have been snooping on this site for a while, and I quite enjoy it.) Mike

Hello & welcome aboard! :USA1:
The answer to your question is a late 1990's. I owned a 1999 Johnson 4 hp & it was exactly the way you described the one you were looking at & is identical to the pic. Hope this helps. Btw, just curious, what was the guy asking for it?

$1400. canadian,..15hps OMCS are harder to come by on this side of the continent,on the other hand 9.9s are all over the place and quite a bit less$$$I have an old 9.9 rude in Quebec where I go fishing thougher than a bucket of nails that old beast, just wish it was a 15,,,quite a difference in performance for the same weight...Mike

Thanks for the replies everyone,I had a hunch that the color of the motor was wrong for 84, but didnt have an idea about the years of the black and grey era...wonder when they started to make em white again.... Mike

Latest posts