Auto Bilge stopped working

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In regards to an auto bilge pump not functioning due to being dirty, I must keep clean bilges, as I have never had one foul up.

Try doing what I do ... add a squirt of Joy dishwashing detergent into the bilge ... any water in there or with any rain water left in there, sloshes it around and helps keep everything clean!

Re Liquid soap...or, you can just drop a partially used bar of soap in there.

That way, you get a new one for your next bath. It'll drive your wife nuts trying to figure out where your soap has been going.

Ha Ha. rich

DaleH said:
In regards to an auto bilge pump not functioning due to being dirty, I must keep clean bilges, as I have never had one foul up.

Try doing what I do ... add a squirt of Joy dishwashing detergent into the bilge ... any water in there or with any rain water left in there, sloshes it around and helps keep everything clean!
I've heard dawn is better at cutting grease but agree with this approach.

richg99 said:
He didn't say that he parked his CAR in the garage. It is probably his BOAT this causes his concern.

Haha. I'm parked in the driveway but the wife's car is in the garage. I think it is no exaggeration to say we double back to check the garage door about 50% of the time. We have even called the neighbor a few times to check for us when we are too far away to turn around. So far we have never left it open, but there is always a first time I guess. Yesterday, wife and I were about 2 blocks away. Regular routine -- "Did we close the garage door?" We don't remember so I turn back. We were yakking it up while we drove by the house and then two blocks away again, and you got it. I had to ask again --"Did you see if it was closed?". Kinda sad I know.

We had the pressure switch go bad in our basin pump in the house a couple of months ago. So they aren't really much better than a normal float switch. I've had a float switch where the metal ball inside got stuck and it didn't pump out the boat. I've also had stuff block the float switch from lifting up but that was my fault for not keeping it clear around the switch. I've also had a pump get an air bubble in the line and not be able to pump out the water. So just keep an eye out on things like the float switch, pump and lines.