Benjineer's Lund S-16 Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, it worked, and I liked the idea of a spare, but I wanted simple. It was annoying picking up both motors in shallow water, etc. One motor is just easier to deal with.

Just read through this build .... great job!!! I love how you build something, try it out, and then tweak it to your liking.

Do the pool noodles add any support to the floor, or deadening of sound?

MrSimon said:
Do the pool noodles add any support to the floor, or deadening of sound?

I have to think they help some. The carpet does too. It's much better than when I just had plywood in there. It's not nearly as loud when my little boy jumps off the deck onto the floor, LOL. At some point I'm going to redo the upper deck and trolling motor mount and probably put carpet there because of sound. I didn't really want carpet, but I think it's just too noisy for shallow water bass fishing without it.

Hit the lake Saturday with Tiny Tach installed. Got up to about 5300 with a very light load. Prop is a 10x13 alumimum. Planning to buy a new prop at some point. Looks like the next size down is a 10.5 x 11. I think I will wait and see how much it is lugged down with two adults. I know it is slower.

benjineer said:
Hit the lake Saturday with Tiny Tach installed. Got up to about 5300 with a very light load. Prop is a 10x13 alumimum. Planning to buy a new prop at some point. Looks like the next size down is a 10.5 x 11. I think I will wait and see how much it is lugged down with two adults. I know it is slower.

Yea, I run a 10x13 prop on my rig too. I haven't checked the RPMs yet.
I estimate about 900# for the weight with just me and gear.
Have any idea of your total weight?

jasper60103 said:
Have any idea of your total weight?

Haven't tried estimating it before.
Let's see, for a typical solo saltwater trip
Boat - 325 lbs?
Motor - 123 lbs
Trolling Motor - 50lbs
Batteries - 118 lbs
Floor, bracing, decking, console, fuel tank - 150 lbs
10 gal gas - 61 lbs
Me - 150 lbs
Fishing gear, ice - 50 lbs

Looks like about 1025 lbs. Could go 1200 with an extra person.

Hit 5400rpm yesterday with just me in the boat, so I guess going to a 10-1/2 x 11 would give me a big possibility of overrevving. That stinks because I just found a great deal on a new stainless one. I think I'll just hunt for a 10x13 stainless. It should improve performance slightly.

benjineer said:
Hit 5400rpm yesterday with just me in the boat, so I guess going to a 10-1/2 x 11 would give me a big possibility of overrevving. That stinks because I just found a great deal on a new stainless one. I think I'll just hunt for a 10x13 stainless. It should improve performance slightly.

yea, it's too bad you can't try before you buy.
I would be tempted to try a 12 pitch.
iBoats got them and free shipping!...https://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Johnson-Outboard-Propellers/?chart=10&engine_id=37&cart_id=316125100

I know Johny25 has done some prop testing with 11 and 13 pitch, but his setup is a little different from yours. Maybe he'll chime in.

I didn't realize they were available because I was looking at the parts diagram for the motor. I see they do have them. Don't see a deal on a stainless one like I found with the 11P. If anyone wants it at $139 and free shipping, let me know. I'll send you the link.

View attachment 2

So if water gets a the boat, will there be a problem with mold on those pool noodles? I would think they wouldn't being that they are made for water. Does anybody have any insight on this?

Silverad04 said:
So if water gets a the boat, will there be a problem with mold on those pool noodles? I would think they wouldn't being that they are made for water. Does anybody have any insight on this?
I don't know. We've got some that get left outside, and they don't get that way. I hope I never have to take the floor out to see.

Still tinkering with it. Just took it to the coast for the first trip this year Nov 1st. Came home with a big speckled trout, a decent flounder, and a dozen or so white trout. Trolling motor had died on me during bass fishing, so I just replaced with a used hand controlled one. Did well this trip. My slippery paint was peeling off the casting deck, so I brushed on some porch paint with grit in it. May not last, but it's doing the job. I was reminded of my prop hub problem on a 2 mile run. Gotta get it fixed or get another prop. Fish are biting. Hopefully I can get out there again the day after thanksgiving if it's not too cold.

IMG-20121101-01216.jpg
IMG-20121101-01218.jpg
Fish 002.jpg
Fish 001.jpg

Good fishin right there and eats =D> =D> , what did you end up doin with the motors?

I know this is old thread, but how did you attach the stringers to the boat? Did you go through the ribs on the bottom, or did you put the rivets through the hull?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=316391#p316391 said:
Pmg 131 » May 28th, 2013, 6:36 pm[/url]"]I know this is old thread, but how did you attach the stringers to the boat? Did you go through the ribs on the bottom, or did you put the rivets through the hull?

I know the question is old, but I used the ribs. Only place I went through the hull was at the top on the bow.